Order planning function

wsm07wsm07 Member Posts: 10
Has anybody had experience about using this function. What is the difference between order planning and MRP? Compared with MRP, what is the benefit to use order planning? Can we have order planning and MRP in system at the same time?

The problem I have here is that I found some comments from training material. Microsoft is suggesting not use them at the same time. But from my research, it looks like MRP is the best for finished goods and order planning is the best for components.

Much appreciated for any input. Thanks.

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Hi

The order planning tool is used specifically in an MTO environment as it is run from the sales order and plans to specific demand, therefore there is no amalgamation of requirements. In the early releases it was fraut with issues, if you had demand for 10 on 01/01/07 and moved the date to the 03/01/07 this was seen as a "new" demand and a new replenishment order was planned accordingly. I have not really looked at this since its first release as it was restrictive and bug filled, but it was more rigid and "stranger" than MRP. Use it carefully :D
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Order planning runs the underlying MRP codeunits. The benefit of Order planning is that it gives a nice overview of your orders, and their status.

So if you are company that does their planning on order by order basis, the Order planning tool is very useful for them.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • wsm07wsm07 Member Posts: 10
    thanks for the reply. Yes. We already set up components as lot-for-lot but we need to track them order by order. So I want to use order planning tool for components. But can I use both order planning and MRP? I searched white paper but can't find the best way to implement this tool.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    One of our client is running both, and haven't had any issues. FYI
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n