Is it Possible to marge two Reports in Navision

kolaboykolaboy Member Posts: 446
Hi Experts,
Is it possible to marge two reports in Navision. I know you can marge two tables, but i don't know if two reports can be marged in Nav.

Has anyone ever marged two reports. If it is possible, how do you go about doing it?
Thanks

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You have the merge reports manually. There's no automatic way of doing it.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Only Table should be able to merge automatically, but it is generally known that this does not work property (or like expected).

It best to merge any object manually (by using Araxis merge or something).

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • kolaboykolaboy Member Posts: 446
    How can i get this software that marges mannually? how does the marge goes? Can you explain the steps of the marging please. I need your help urgently please.
    Thanks
    You have to buy it.
    Two recommendations: "Araxis merge" or "Beyond Compare".

Normally, you'll get the picture when you load your text files (which you export from NAV) into these tools. The differences are graphically shown, and you can copy over the text from one end to the other... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    Thanks Waldo,
    But is there no free versions of these two tools? where can one buy these tools and how much does each cost?
    Thanks.
  • ovicashovicash Member Posts: 141
    kolaboy wrote:
    Thanks Waldo,
    But is there no free versions of these two tools? where can one buy these tools and how much does each cost?
    Thanks.

You can try Navision Development toolkit. You can find it on partnersource. it has a merge tool, you can merge reports too
    ovidiu

Best Regards
    I have got the Developer's Toolkit for microsoft dynamic nav.
    I try to open the database but it gives me an error saying" Database Error:1362" when i click on ok it says" You have not selected a database" when i have selected the one i am working on. After clicking on ok it says again "Database Error:1046.

Can you tell me what is wrong or better still can you explain how to go about opening a database file in the above toolkit
    Thank.
  • todrotodro Member Posts: 117
    kolaboy wrote:
    I have got the Developer's Toolkit for microsoft dynamic nav.
    I try to open the database but it gives me an error saying" Database Error:1362" when i click on ok it says" You have not selected a database" when i have selected the one i am working on. After clicking on ok it says again "Database Error:1046.

Can you tell me what is wrong or better still can you explain how to go about opening a database file in the above toolkit
    Thank.
    most likely, the database version you used to restore the toolkit FBK into is not matching the version the NDT is expecting. You can find the appropriate database version in the NDT documentation.

Not to forget: this database version doesn't necessarily relate to the production database you are using (where you retrieve the reports from).
    Torsten
    MCP+I, MCSE NT, Navision MCT (2004,2005)
    most likely, the database version you used to restore the toolkit FBK into is not matching the version the NDT is expecting. You can find the appropriate database version in the NDT documentation.

Not to forget: this database version doesn't necessarily relate to the production database you are using (where you retrieve the reports from).

I am using Navision 4.0 and am also using the native database not the SQL option.
    Which right marge tool is suitable for my version of navision?
    Thanks.
    It doesn't matter whether you're using classic or SQL option. You're merging objects (forms, reports, tables, ...) which are a definition af an application. This has nothing to do with the database option.

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    kolaboy wrote:

I am using Navision 4.0 and am also using the native database not the SQL option.
    Which right marge tool is suitable for my version of navision?
    Thanks.
    when I use a NDT 2.00.291 SP3, I'll have to use a 4.0SP3 database. If I use a 4.0SP2 I get exactly the same error as you indicated.

I'd recommend the following:

a.) Get NDT 2.00.291 SP3
    b.) Create a new 4.0SP3 database and restore the devtool.fbk
    Torsten
    For reports, it's best if you merge it manually. There's nothing worst in the world of programming than trying to figure out the x and the y axis of a text box in notepad format. :(
    For reports, it's best if you merge it manually. There's nothing worst in the world of programming than trying to figure out the x and the y axis of a text box in notepad format. Sad

Can you then please show me in steps form how i can go about doing the marging Manually Please!!!!!

Don't blame me i am new in Nav. and i am trying to learn.

Thanks.
    kolaboy wrote:
    For reports, it's best if you merge it manually. There's nothing worst in the world of programming than trying to figure out the x and the y axis of a text box in notepad format. Sad

Can you then please show me in steps form how i can go about doing the marging Manually Please!!!!!

Don't blame me i am new in Nav. and i am trying to learn.

Thanks.

You have to open both reports in Design mode and do copy and paste. There's no easy way to go about it.
    I have exported the two reports in text form and compared them. i have done the copy and paste. Now i want to change it back to Navision Object File so that io can import it to the database. Any ideas of how to do this?
    Thanks
    YOu should be able to import your merged text file ... . Does it give you an error if you do?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    kolaboy wrote:
    I have exported the two reports in text form and compared them. i have done the copy and paste. Now i want to change it back to Navision Object File so that io can import it to the database. Any ideas of how to do this?
    Thanks
    if you work with text files, you have to keep the exact layout, namely spaces, if you "destroy" the layout/hierarchy of controls etc., Navision will not be able to import the file at all.

Once you finished, import the file like you import a *.fob, simply change the file filter in the open dialog to *.txt. After importing, select the object line in the object designer and press F11 to compile. This should not give you any error. If so, you can edit the object inside Navision an then recompile/save
    Torsten
    edited 2007-07-19
    Yes it keeps giving errors. I suspect what todro said is the case. It might be the Layout of the text. It is not importing.
    Thanks.
    Using Araxis Merge I seldom make mistakes. I even manually copy over text to the right sometimes... :|

Eric Wauters
    My blog
    I am using 'beyong Compare 2' tool. It opens the two reports side by side and i just copy and past the difference from one side to the other.

When i was done i save it and discarded the one i don't need. the one i need is not importing.[/u]
    kolaboy wrote:
    I am using 'beyong Compare 2' tool. It opens the two reports side by side and i just copy and past the difference from one side to the other.

When i was done i save it and discarded the one i don't need. the one i need is not importing.[/u]
    the error message you get should tell you the line number where it fails. Verify the layout for this line, modify and re-import. You should pass that line now and in case you get a new error, it should be another (higher) line number and the same procedure begins...

Also, what you could try to do: import into NDT, maybe it is a little bit more format tolerant, after that, export and re-import it in Navision.

Yes, merging navision objects is nice, especially when containing objects of several different ISV-solutions with different permissions/licenses :whistle:
    Torsten
    You have to open both reports in Design mode and do copy and paste. There's no easy way to go about it.

What am i going to Copy and paste in the design mode Please?
    kolaboy wrote:

What am i going to Copy and paste in the design mode Please?
    you can copy what has been changed, e.g. buttons or text from the menus, code in the OnPush Trigger etc.

What he means is: you can use the file comparison to get an overview about the changes and then you will start an interactive copy - paste session :D Open both reports at the same time (or in 2 clients), then you can select from source and paste into the target report. But beware: pasting most likely does not work if you use 2 clients and they are of different versions

e.g. if you see there is a button missing, select it in the report where it's available by copying and pasting it into the new report. Then you have to adjust position etc. This will work for buttons (controls) in general, even with the code behind in the triggers, but not on a menu item level. If you need to copy a menu item either create the entry manually in the new and adjust the properties or bei copy-paste of every individual property. This can be a pain. And: do not forget to copy the code behind the menu entries.
    Torsten
  • zappyzappy Member Posts: 15
    kolaboy wrote:
    Thanks Waldo,
    Thanks.

Or you can try WinMerge - it's open source under GNU and for merging object it's good solution.

http://winmerge.org/
    Tomas Zadrapa