Trying to use C/FRONT...

kazamaxkazamax Member Posts: 13
Hi again!, I´m very lost with this... I´m trying to connect to a navision data base using C/FRONT, using a web technology (PHP, ASP, or something...). I have seen the "DotNetApplicattionSample" from my Navision CD, but I´m really lost!.

Furthermore, when I try to execute the aplicattion with Visual Studio 2005, appears an error saying "the system can´t find 'cfront.dll'" (or something like that).

Can anyone tell me what programs I need to use C/FRONT? Can anyone explain me with a very little sample (like a 'Hello world' or something) how can I use C/FRONT?

Thanks in advance!

PD: Sorry for my bad english and my low knoledge... I´m really novice... :oops:

Answers

• PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    Funny, refering to his own question which has got nothing to do with c/front.

You need to install C/Front. It's on the CD, in the Devkit directory.
  • kazamaxkazamax Member Posts: 13
    ok, I have C/Front installed. And now??? The link from "kolaboy" is a post that I wrote asking for NODBC, but now I´m asking for using C/FRONT. I don´t now why you write that link... :?:

Can anybody help me?? Thanks!
  • PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    I don't know zilch about C/Front, but did you check the doc directory on the CD? There should be a PDF on C/Front
  • kazamaxkazamax Member Posts: 13
    Yes, I saw the documentation and don´t find anything about using C/FRONT in a web applicattion. For that reason I´m trying to find someone who can say me a few steps with this. Can anyone help me please?

Anyway, thanks for your reply poltergeist, :wink:
  • girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    Just to be clear, the documentation is called w1w1cfront.pdf. It is located in the Doc directory of CD1 of your product disk.

C/Front is a library of C functions to manipulate a Navision database (C/SIDE or SQL).

Therefore, to use it, you should be using the C programming language.

If you want to use a web based language like PHP you're going to have write an interface to make it work with your new language. Fortunately in PHP you can do this:

since you are using Windows and the API is contained within a DLL then you could call it via rundll32, which you can call
    via the PHP system() function.

system('rundll32.exe YourAPI.DLL,FunctionWithinDLL Parameter1 Parameter2
    ....')

Haven't tried that though.
  • girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    This post:

http://blogs.msdn.com/eldar/archive/200 ... -code.aspx

describes how to call c functions from asp.net

Just glanced over the two posts, but they seem to be dependent on how the .dll functions are defined. So you still might have to write some custom C interface code.

Happy coding ! Any way, if you get discouraged, you can also look for ara3n's posting about how to calculate flowfields directly from SQL tables. You might find that easier. Then you can you standard ADO to write you web application.

Personally, I've been mulling over the two options for a long time now. Write now, my preference is to do it with C/Front... but as you can see, its not totally straightforward (but it *is* doable) either way.
  • alokagrawal1909alokagrawal1909 Member Posts: 19
    Hi Kazamax

I am in the same situation which you have faced.I want to learn the C/FRONT. I want to access the Navision Database from in an ASP.NET program. can you please help me.
    I vhae gone through the w1w1cfront.pdf but it talks about accessing navision database using c Compiler only, i am willing to access it using .NET, but i dont know how to start.

please help me.
    thanks in advance.