Testing User Rights?

C.S.C.S. Member Posts: 5
Hi there,

We have acually a customer that has set his User Rolls so that every User can do his normal work.

But in some cases Users have more than the permissions that they should have. For exampel they can loock on sensitive data over an loockup.

Is there any tool for Navision or SQL (Customer uses 4.0 SP3 with SQL Server) with that i can manage the User Rolls or that shows on what objekts the Users have accsess,so i can correct the User Rolls without testing them in all corners?

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I haven' tried it but here's a download for you to look at...

Navision Permission Role Wizard
    Description: This utility helps to create user roles and to add permissions to existing roles. Create user roles according to what users really use and need.

http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=357
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I'm currently neck deep in a permissions project of my own and I think I have looked at every security tool out there. I have to be honest, I don't think any of them are that great.

Some of them are helpful, like the User Rights Tools the Microsoft put out. There a video demo of it in the downloads and I think the fob files are in there somewhere too. In terms of being able to easily tell what people have access to I haven't seen anything.

I'm currently writing a custom security granule / code for my company and what I've done is created a function that will check to see if they have access to a particular form. On each of the menu forms instead of using the base code to enable / disable menu items I call this function which returns a boolean if they have access to the form. This way you can easily click through the menu on the left hand side and see what is enabled for them. If you're using the built in roles, though, then everyone has access to every form anyway.

Maybe there's something in SQL that you could try, but I'm not aware of anything. Wish I could be of more help.
  • diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    Hi,

I do also agree with Matt, as such there is no such tool that can be said as great and give you exactly what you want to do with the user role and permissions.

Still a tedious process but is quite safe to test the same and do it yourself.
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
  • C.S.C.S. Member Posts: 5
    Well i guess we have no choise than to do ist all by hand.

But tanks for your fast awnsers. :D