Options

@World Partner Conference 2007: Diary

WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
edited 2007-07-16 in General Chat
I'm going to make it myself a little bit easier this time. I'm posting everything on my Blog, and will send the updates to this thread :).

Enjoy!

First post:
WPC Diary: Microsoft Dynamics NAV, The Road to Success: Part 1

ps, because this blogging during sessions takes a great deal of energy and concentration, I would like to see if this effort is of any value... .

Eric Wauters
MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
My blog

Comments

• Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    I need a 4th Poll option "Is great, but should be posted in the forum". This way, the topic can be searched as other forum topics. But keep us informed about what's going on there ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    Oops, the links returns "Critical Error: Data Store Unavailable". I'l try again tomorrow.
  • Options
    OK, luc, I got your point ... and you're absolutely right. I will just copy/past it on this forum, OK?

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    WPC Diary: Microsoft Dynamics NAV, The Road to Success: Part 1

URL: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2007/07/09/world-partner-conference-diary-part-1.aspx

My first day on the World Partner Conference (WPC).

The day before yesterday, I landed at about 6pm in Denver … having travelled. It's about 8 hours earlier in Denver, so I'm enjoying a wonderful but killig jet lag still two days later [:(].

Today (Monday), it a "pre-conference" day, with a dedicated track for Dynamics NAV. I don't know what to expect yet (writing this blog 'live' in the session), but I'm sure it's going to be interesting.

This is a session for partners, for CEO's and such people, so I don't expect to get Technical info … . And I was right. The session started of with saying how wonderful partners have been selling NAV, with stating that this was another record breaking year for NAV:

Highest revenu
    Highest winning customers

They stated that they got feedback from partners, and that they are taking these areas into account:

Upgradability
    Reporting and analysis
    Documentation
    New content and tools between major releases
    Localized features into the core documents
    Easier for partners to customize
    Focus on business processes

Furthermore, they announced that a new demo VPC has been released on partnersource. All demo's during this event will be done on this VPC. This is very good news for selling partners, in my opinion. What's on it?

Document approval with email notification
    Office integration
    Outlook integration
    Online maps
    Business analytics
    Emplyee portal
    Reporting services reports
    The available demo scripts are:

What's new
    Setup, using and customizing the outlook intagration
    Item tracing
    Office xml integration and record links
    Sales and purchase document approval
    Business analytics
    Prepayments and GL imrpovements
    Jobs
    Service order handling
    Office integration

Demo Time: Jesper Lachance Raebild and Michael Rosenorn are using the new VPC and showed us a number of things:

How to get a pricelist to word with the new office integration in NAV
    The "moving" links:
    When you create a quote, attach a record link … transform it to order … the link exists on the order.
    Document Approvals
    Outlook Integration: Mapping any field of any table to outlook
    Item tracing
    The jobs was presented by Selena Breann Jenssen
    The new copy job functionality
    Budgeting structure completely redesigned:
    You can now handle fixed price projects.
    Foreign currencies
    Job-sales invoice can be issued from contract lines
    Job specific pricing
    5 different methods of WIP
    Why 5: this was based on the feedback they got from the partners.
    Export to Word/Excel. At this time, they announced the new Style Sheet tool, which was developed with these focus areas:
    Simplicity
    Visual
    Familiar environment
    Configurable - no code
    Michael also showed how to use the Stylesheet tool … . I was playing with this on the plane, so that was a needless effort, because you can't imagine how easy it is to use. A 10 minute demo is enough to know how it works, and to know what possibilities there are for business. Big applause to Microsoft

This was a 2 hour session, so finally … a break.

They continued with a session called "The value of upgrading". Now, I was concerned that it was going to ba a Celenia-show again (like on Convergence EMEA and Convergence San Diego) … and I was right. Again they were talking about Upgrade Centers (of which the concept is quite good), but again Microsoft was promoting Celenia, and a succesful Belgian partner Helios-IT. Now, I have nothing against these two partners, but please, Microsoft, give the opportunity to other Upgrade Centers (and partners) as well … . This is free advertising, and everybody should get that chance. For your knowledge .. I will look for people of Liberty Grove during this event [;)].

Why upgrade?

Well, we can all answer that question: Legal customisations, new functionality, Technology, add-on's, … . But one slice in this pie is "Uncustomize customizations". This is difficult, as we all know … and don't expect from the upgrade centers that they take this into account. Celenia didn't know how to answer this on Convergence EMEA (last year), but now, they said they also take this into their services. Pro-actively, they will "warn" the partner that some customizations are replaced with standard functionality.

Next an highlight of the Sure step Methodology.

This tool is available for any partner with a PABS plan. It is a methodology to succesfully complete NAV implementation. This methodology is based on the experiences and workflows of hundreds of partners.

Demo time:

The IT editor, is a tool that shows you the methodology in a diagram way, and lets you adapt the workflow to your way of work. Not really my area of expertese, but I only hear positive comment on this tool and methodology. It's worth to try it out!

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    WPC Diary: Microsoft Dynamics NAV, The Road to Success: Part 2

URL: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2007/07/10/wpc-diary-microsoft-dynamics-nav-the-road-to-success-part-2.aspx

Jan Silleman started off with an introduction, where the most interesting thing was the screensaver [:|]. Now, hold on … it IS interesting. The Microsoft Dynamics NAV Screensaver is a very nice tool to stay informed with the latest Dynamics NAV News. Now there is a new version (v2) with a few new features:

Customer ready news
    Add feeds to the screensaver
    Customer pictures

Now, the session really kicked off with Eva (forgot her last name) with "Expand reach with New Business Opportunities". This topic handled about the new program "Certified for Microsoft Dynamics". A few bullet points on what this is:

It is a program that sets a new high standard for partner developed software solutions, helps partners to differentiate and market their solutions.
    For Customers
    A rich portfolio of tested software solutions, backed by customer references ready to run in business critical environments
    For partners
    A way to easily sell the solutions (you get some benefits).
    There are some benefits and requirements:
    Benefits:
    "Certified for Microsoft Dynamics" Logo
    Partner solution finder search findings prioritization
    Channel Building activities prioritization
    Early adopter programs prioritization
    Requirements:
    Pass the Test
    Ten customer references
    Software Solution profiled in Solution Profiler
    Partner Service Plan
    Gold Certified Partner
    There are already 6 partners who have a certified add-on (and i'll do what I can to make our product "Certified for Microsoft Dynamics" as well).
    So, If you have a solution, with quite a few customers … get certified!

The "marketing fluff" (sorry for my sarcasm) continued with Carsten Wulff with his part 'How to successfully build a channel'. An LS Retail guy who shares his experiences (and do a little bit of marketing for himself). I tried to pick some interesting points on his presentations … but I failed.

But next part should be a very interesting session: "Software as a service" by Julio De Villasante Guzman.

As we all know, it is a market that is growing very fast. Lots and lots of bla bla (I even started answering my mail during the session). Sorry, guys, I know this isn't interesting for you .. But it wasn't for me either [;)].

After a bunch af other marketing fluff and Q&A with Mogens Elsberg, we got a demo of 5.1 by Darren Laybourn. He went very fast. It was hard to keep up. These are a number of things he showed:

Reports with Reporting Services
    On top: the "Action Pane":
    The frequently used tasks can be put on the action pane.
    You can customize the action pane (any user).
    Fast tabs:
    You can put relevant info on the fast tab
    Things you can customize:
    Action pane
    Big/small icons
    Arrange the links
    Navigation pane
    "My Customers" / "My Items" / …
    Freeze column on a list page
    Customize the fact boxes as well: not showing some lines in it
    Developer experiences:
    New object, called "page".
    There is a form transormation tool that is going to transform your forms into pages
    Sharepoint portal:
    THIS is nice! What they did: they built a Dynamics NAV web part. A webpart that is going to interprete the metadata. Nice stuff!
    Webservices (by Kris Rafnsson)
    Probably you already read about this, and how wonderful this is, but I'm going to repeat it again: this is wonderful.
    Building a webservice is only creating a record in the Web Services table (NAV is about simplicity … [:)] ). He created a webservice (1 minute), then opened up Visual Studio and created a small application. In no time (and 2 lines of code), he had a windows form application that showed all sales orders… .
    Another application he showed was a webapp, where he fills in the customers name, and inserts the record … after, het gets te record again, and you could see it created a customer No, a search name, … it executed the business logic [:)].
    Indeed, he didn't show the 3D Graphical tool on NAV anymore ... . I wonder why... .

Time for more "marketing fluff":

Mogens Elsberg announced the new NAV based product: Microsoft Dymanics Enterpreneur Solution, with these properties:

It is built on NAV
    Out-of-the box light ERP functionality
    Wizard driven setup
    Limited customization
    Value-added distributor channel
    Up to 5 users - 795 EUR per concurrent user
    Certified add-on solutions
    Services provider licensing aggreement
    Global Phased roll-out

The Netherlands, Germany, Spain and United Kingdom
    Now, Guys, THIS is going to be nice. This is the thing where many dealers have been waiting on. All small customers (up to 5 users) are going to have a nice out-of-the box NAV based solution. I hope this will kick off real soon.

No, finally, time to sit on ice...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Keynote 1

URL: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2007/07/10/keynote-1.aspx

I'm not that a keynot fan, but a keynote from Steve Ballmer … you shouldn't miss that. So, that's why I'm going with lots of expectation to the second keynote session of today (Tuesday).

To my surprise, it was not Steve Ballmer, but Chris Capossela that kicked off. Yeah, well, may be Steve will join later… . Chris is Corporate Vice President, Microsoft Business Division, Product Management Group. Quite a big guy as well… .

What was it all about… .

It was going quite fast, but I'll try to recapitulate. He was talking about Office, and that Office is not about lettres and spreadsheets anymore, but about business critical application workflow kind of stuff … . He showed a video of a dutch initiative (Eminus) that used Microsoft software to build an "online (virtual) classroom" for students that can't come to school due to some kind of handicap. Impressive… .

Next, a demo of "Office Communication Server", and "Office communicator" by Chris himself:

Unified messaging built into exchange server:
    Voicemail and faxes are delivered right in the inbox
    In an email, hover over the contact, you can see (in a tooltip) what he/she is doing right now, when he will be free, … .
    In Sharepoint/word/ … the same information available.
    New capability in excel/office communicator:
    Copy/paste rich text from excel to the communicator.
    With one button, starting a high quality video conference call … .
    With drag and drop the contact in the messenger window: a multi person video call …
    Voip:
    In office communicator: you can call any phone number you want (he showed that by calling someone in the audience.
    During the call, he took some notes in OneNote (having most details of the call already filled in).

Next, he announced the IW Partner Skills Accelerator. A 5 million dollar investment in Training and Certification, by free courses, study materials, … . I'll try to get more info on that in the pavilion.

The rest was blabla, so I didn't take notes. Sorry for that.

Next speaker was Mike Sievert, Corporate Vice President, Windows Business Group (Not "Division" … but "Group" [:|]). And he is going to talk about how vista translates to business opportunity.

This is Windows Vista now:

Customer adoption is going at record pace:
    40M units sold in first 100 days, outspacing XP
    Strong growth in Volume License business
    Enterprise agreement renewals at historic highs and new agreements growing fast.
    Highest quality, most secure OS Microsoft has ever released
    Compatibility is now at critical mass
    The major critical enterprise apps now addressed
    2M devices supported
    Record 10000 logo'd hardware & devices
    1900+ logo'd apps (up from 650+ at launch).

He talked about the new pack: MDOP: Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (for software assurance). A short video showed us what it was about. The video went too fast to write down everything. The main idea (in my opinion) is that this pack provides some tools to admin the apps on the desktop (like application compatibiliy, security, policy, …) .

Mike went deeper into the "application virtualization" component of the pack, called "Softgrid Management". In the management console of this tool, you can add an application to a AD user or group. Now, that group can use this application without a logical installation on the desktop. They call this "application virtualitzation".

Again, a rambling of marketing fluff … .

Next … finally … Steve Ballmer. With the right amount of shouting, handshaking, running and hand clapping, he kicked off saying "thank you" to us, partners, for earning his bonus [:)]. His first first really kicked in: "You guys ENERGIZE me …".

He is going to talk how we can work together … how we can have the same view … how we can "enable potential". (between brackets: I'm having trouble to enjoy this, because I've been sitting here for 2,5 hours on the same chair ... so my ass hurts like hell).

First a bit of history, about how Microsoft evolved from a "desktop company" to an "enterprise company". Next a bit of future blabla. How user experiences is going to be very important.

Next a demo of Microsoft Silverlight:

Silverlight is a "cross platform browser". A way to deploy your application on any platform (using a browser interface). He showed this also with Firefox as well.

Very neat is also the Silverlight Player. Rendering video in high quality, multi video's at a time (9), running on firefox and all … . Still a concept/prototype, but impressive.

Silverlight Airlines was a concept about graphically (via browser) booking a flight by drawing an arrow (from/to) on a map… . Quite intuitive interface.

That was all. Conclusion is: Steve is a real entertainer, and Microsoft is working on some interesting stuff. Disappointing that not one word was on Dynamics… .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Thanks Eric for your detailed postings. Very informative!
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Hand On Labs: SoftGrid: Getting Published - Bring

URL: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2007/07/12/hand-on-labs-softgrid-getting-published-bringing-the-virtual-applications-to-the-enterprise.aspx

In the Keynote Session, there was a topic about "SoftGrid" and "Virtual Applications". Well, I was quite interested in that, and wanted to do the hands on lab - or better: a "Self Paced Lab", where there is no instructor, but a hard copy manual and a Virtual PC that you can use to explore what this tool is. Let's have a go… .

I got 2 running VPC's .. A client and a server. On the server, you need this software:

SQL Server Desktop Engine
    SoftGrid Server
    SoftGrid Management Web Service
    SoftGrid Management Console
    Domain controller
    IIS

Goal: Company X uses office 2007, but for some reason, there is a need to use office 2003 in certain circumstances. The decision was to use SoftGrid to deliver and Maintain Office 2003. This exercise publishes Office 2003. I will describe the most important steps.

To administer SoftGrid, you use the SoftGrid Management Console.
    You should first create an application group (e.g. Microsoft Applications).
    In the application group, you import an sprj, file, which is (a group of) applications. How you get such an sprj file, is not clear for me… .
    The, on the client, there is a client of SoftGrid, that connects (through webservices) with the SoftGrid Server
    Your applications are available on your client.

It is as simple as that. Only I would want to know how to get to those sprj files… . Probably a simple answer to that … but no time to figure that out, because I have to hurry for my trip to the Rocky Mountains (Sponsored by Microsoft Belgium :) )

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Hands On Labs: MS Office PerformancePoint 2007: Monitoring and Analytics

URL: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/waldo/archive/2007/07/12/hands-on-labs-ms-office-performancepoint-2007-monitoring-and-analytics.aspx

Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server 2007 is a performance management solution that allows for continuous business improvement throug planning, monitoring and analyzing your organization. The monitoring and analytics for this product provides the ability to evaluate what is happening and why, by bringing data from a variety of data sources and allowing that data to be displayed.

Or in words that I can understand … it might be a new BI tool. I don't know what to expect, so here we go… .

In the package, there is a "PerformancePoint Scorecard Builder". When you open this, it opens the "PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer" [:|]. Anyway … you need this tool to do your "monitoring and analytics".

When connecting to a datasource, you see you can use Analysis Services.

For this session, I needed to create a "scorecare" (I suppose this term comes from "balanced scorecard"). As expected, your scorecard contains KPI's. Depending on how your cube is configured, is how you can define your KPI's. I created following KPI's:

Sales Amount - Increasing is Better - 1
    Days Late - Decreasing is Better- 1
    Gross Margin % - Increasing is Better - 25
    I think you know what this means.

It's a very simple way to build a scorecard … In 5 minutes, I got my green and red flags on my screen. Time to add dimensions. This is just a matter of dragging and dropping on the scorecard. Very impressive and intuitive! Owkay, this is my scorecard.

For monitoring, you need to publish it to the "monitor server". Actually, before content can be ported to other containers, it needs to be synchronized with the Monitoring Server.

Now, we have to create reports to publish to the server. I created an "Analytic Chart". Now, it's a bit more complicated, because you have to give in an SQL-like language (MDX) to get your data… . To give you an idea:

SELECT {[Last 12 Caal Months w/ Sales]} ON COLUMNS,
    {[Produc].[Family].&[4], [Product].[Family].&[5],[Product].[Family].&[6]}
    ON ROWS FROM [Sales]
    WHERE {[Measures].[Sales Amt]}

And I could not find a "builder" of some kind… .

Now, the only thing to do was to create a Dashboard and Publish it to Office SharePoint Server 2007 (for monitoring).

This was only a matter of drag en drop the reports and scorecard(s) to the dashboard page. Publish the dashboard, and that was it.

Now, I have successfully built KPI's, charts, grids, and published that to the server.

I'm not sure I understood everything as I'm really not a BI expert, but I gave me a feeling on how simple it is (after all software is installed off course) to create this … . I think we're going to hear much more of this.

Eric Wauters
    My blog