Dimension Totaling

FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
Can someone please explain to me how the Dimension totaling function in Navision works? We've tried to set it up so that our different divisions can report based on the line of business engaged in the transaction (multiple lines of business within one division), but we haven't been able to get it to work like we expected.

When we use the "End-Total" dimension value on reports, it doesn't show us any totals, even though transactions have posted for dimension values between the "Begin-Total" and "End-Total" records, and the "Totaling" field is filled-in on the "End-Total".

Is there a good document that talks about this feature, or can someone point me in a good direction?

Thanks.

Comments

• AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Hi

It depends in part on where you are. If for instance you are actually filtering on the transactions you are looking at the dimensions associated with the lines, there is never an end-total dimension on the line, so it will return nothing.

Have a look at the analysis by dimensions, these will show all. This area is not very slick depending upon what you are trying to achieve.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
    What we assumed is that we would be able to choose the Totaling dimensions on Financial reports (income statements, aging, etc...), but we are not able to do this so far. Are you saying that the totaling only works on the Analysis views?
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Hi

It depends where the report is looking for the information. With an aging report there is no "total" dimension against the transaction, and therefore if you filter on these you get nothing, you need to filter on the dimension range that makes the total to get this to work.

With the analysis views you will see the totals, as these are brought forward on the rows or columns as buckets with formulas. I am not sure everywhere where they are seen, but you cannot get the totals working on standard reports.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
    OK - but what about the income statements. Should we be able to use the dimension totaling feature on income statements?