Importing Customer / Vendor data from Quickbooks

adamEthanadamEthan Member Posts: 104
Nav 4.0 SP3

Hello everyone, we recently acquired a new company and as a result they are being taken off of QB and getting tossed into Navision. ( i guess mergers and acquisitions are a brutal world to be apart of )

Anyways, I'm having trouble finding an import / setup checklist way of getting their customer / vendor data into Navision.

I searched the forums for "Customer Card Import" but couldn't come up with anything that really gave me the answers I was hoping for.

I figure a lot of companies go from QB to NAV, so maybe there is even something pre written?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks again everyone.

-Adam

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    i assume you can get the QB info into a TXT or CSV file. Or bring it to excel and save it from there into a TXT or CSV file.

Then create a dataport to import the info into the tables you need.
    You will have to map the required fields to match
    QBNamefield->NavNameField.
    QBAddressField->NavAddressField

etc etc.
    If you are familiar with dataposts this should not be a problem.
    the ADG on the product cd has a whole chapter on Dataports & of course your Mibuso friends are here to help too.
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    If you don’t feel comfortable with dataports you can also use Excel mapping tool, this tool allows you to import data directly from Excel.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Savatage wrote:
    Add these in here too..

Universal Excel Importer
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=811

Dataport Generator v1.1
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=360

These also are good tools. If I'm not in mistake, Excel mapping tool only appeared in 4.0 SP3. I don't know your current Navision version
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • kolaboykolaboy Member Posts: 446
    HI,

assume you can get the QB info into a TXT or CSV file. Or bring it to excel and save it from there into a TXT or CSV file.

Then create a dataport to import the info into the tables you need.
    You will have to map the required fields to match

etc etc.
    If you are familiar with dataposts this should not be a problem.
    the ADG on the product cd has a whole chapter on Dataports & of course your Mibuso friends are here to help too.

What savatage is is the best you can do. I have imported data from Unix to Navision doing exactly what savatage said. Huge data for that matter.

Just map the required fields to match. That is

Try this. It may work.
  • adamEthanadamEthan Member Posts: 104
    Bringing this back from the dead:

Our implementer is claiming that master files should be created last in regards to company setup.

The new company we created has only the company info and accounting periods completed.. the chart / GL setup still needs work before it's finished.

Because of everyone's gracious help, I'm ready to import the customer / vendor data

Is our implementer correct? Do I need to wait for our controller to finish the new chart? I don't really want to as it's going to take forever and we are already behind schedule.

An important note to consider is that there will be no posting against these master files right away, we just want to get them in.

Thanks again, you guys are all great
    There are other tables that need to be setup to - infact might make life easier to have them setup first.

Like Posting groups & payment terms codes, salesman codes, etc., etc.

these are tables that are related to customer/vendor tables but not as large. So with these setup perhaps during import of the customer/vendor master data these fields can be filled in then & not later automatically.

a thought.
  • adamEthanadamEthan Member Posts: 104
    thanks for the insight- we were considering having an intern fly through the entries and fill in the missing blanks after those tables were setup, although like you said- it could be easier to just do the import afterwards.

however my question still stands, is it just a matter of convienence, or is it a necessity to complete the chart - GL setup before creating the customer cards?

thanks for the quick reply, i appreciate it much :)
    as long as no transactions are being processed - i see no problem with entering the customer data now. As long as all the blanks are filled in later 8)

IMHO I would fill in all the small tables first ie/Purchaser/Salesman, Payment terms code, Posting groups, etc that are related but it should not be a problem just to fill in customer data.

Sounds like someone's excited to get the ball rolling. \:D/