Options

A Multi-layered approach to Internet Security.

olayinkaoluwaseyiiolayinkaoluwaseyii Member Posts: 4
edited 2007-07-01 in General Chat
Some Basic Must-Have's and Must-Do's for any PC user :

A Junk Cleaner & a Tweaker : Apart from the Disk Clean-Up utility of Vista its strongly advisable to have a 3rd party cleaner softie; and here freeware CCleaner rules the roost. TweakVI is a good Tweaking Utility but its freeware version has several less tweaks available. Go for shareware Tune-Up Utilities or Ace Utilities if you want excellent PC Junk Cleaning and Tweaking functions. Both the Cleaner and the Tweaker are essential not just from the PC maintenance point of view but also help keeping your PC secure indirectly.

An Anti-Virus : Avast, AntiVir and AVG are three good freewares. Should you wish to consider shareware, I'd go with Kaspersky or NOD32

One more Anti-Spyware : Apart from your WindowsDefender; Adaware, Spybot, AVG Anti-Spyware or a-squared Anti-Malware are some of the freeware I'd recommend. Again, SpywareDoctor and Webroots Spy Sweeper are good but shareware. I also suggest installation of freeware SpywareBlaster, an anti-spy application which doesnt have to be open, to run.

3rd Party-Firewall : Vista OS firewall is good enough, but should you feel the need for a 3rd part FW, I'd presently go with freeware Jetico Jetico Personal Firewall, as most others are still in their Beta stage. Zone Alarm Free Firewall for Vista has also just been launched. Commodo Firewall for vista is expected to be launched soon. While ZA is an application-based firewall, Comodo is a rule-based firewall.

However, these days having just an Anti-Virus or an Anti-Spyware or a Firewall does not suffice, what with the amount of internet trash going around. And I am refering to to tons of virus, spyware, trojans, worms, rootkits, spywarew and what not, breeding on the net...not to mention the unwanted popups, intrusions & phishing ! It is said there are at least 200 to 300 new variants a day !

With this, the days of defination based defense may well be numbered. Signature-based malware scanning, as we know it, will decline in effectiveness ! But still, at this point only a few of today's security suites include "BEHAVIOUR-BASED" protection !

ZoneAlarm and Panda TruPrevent (apart from Prevx ) were among the first to have behavior-based solutions that block malware by its bad behavior. Just on the basis of this strength, Panda blocks up to 90 percent and ZASS up to 70 percent of network and e-mail worms ! (behavior-based protection is different from heuristics; a technique that looks for suspicious patterns in executable code)

Most of the other companies like Symantec, McAfee, F-Secure, Trend-Micro have now included this in their 2007 versions or will include them in their forthcoming editions.

http://www.winvistaclub.com/security.html