Upgrading of Server from 32bit to 64bit

seyhockseyhock Member Posts: 33
My company is planning to upgrade the IBM server for 32bit to 64bit.

I wonder if this upgrade will affect our Current SQL2005 Database and Navision 4.1.

TQ

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am not sure if it is good to run SQL 32bit on 64bit OS. Try to find out if it is possible.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • you have two options, run 32 bit sql server on 64 bit o/s or run both on 64bit.
    The biggest advantage of 64bit is the flat memory model, which requires 64bit sql server to gain the advantage. However I'd say if you're not using 8gb of ram or more you'll probably not gain too much. The sql databases are interchangeable 64 to 32 bit, and there are not too many extra settings with 64bit. Technically there's little point in 32 bit sql on a 64bit o/s for a standard install. Generally 64bit should be faster. Depends on your workload and database size/
  • diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    I thinks its only going to effect only when you think of running the NAV on 64 bit SQL server and not on 32 bit.
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
  • sc00bysc00by Member Posts: 43
    We are also going to move our database onto a 64 / 64 platform from a 32 / SQL2k server.
    I've been testing this and so far haven't found any problems with any of our standard or bespoke systems.

One thing worth noting though is that if you are using "Windows Authentication", you need to add the 64Bit extended stored procedure as the 'normal' one wont work.

File is available on the normal download zip.

Also, you may need to update to V4 SP3 ... not sure though.

Hope this helps.

Rob.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    sc00by wrote:
    ...Also, you may need to update to V4 SP3 ... not sure though.
    Rob.

SP3 is a SQL 2005 requirement (32 or 64 bit).
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.