Entering bank fees on a Deposit

MindieMindie Member Posts: 124
My client's bank is charge a $25 for every wire transfer they receive from a customer. I am looking for the best way for them to account for this fee.

For example, the customer sends $1000 to pay for an invoice. The bank keeps $25 and their bank account is increased by $975.

We need the $1000 to apply to the invoice, the bank deposit to only show $975, and the $25 to go to the expense account.

Currently they are forcing a $25 discount on the invoice. Then they are making a manual journal entry to move the $25 from the discount account to the bank fee expense account.

There has to be a better way!

My first thought was to create the first line of the deposit to the customer for $1000 and then make a second line to deduct the $25 from the G/L account. The posting routine will not allow a debit amount.

I could find and comment out the code that is preventing that post but I haven't determined the consequences of that. Before I run through all of that I'd thought I'd ask for other ideas?

What do you think would be the best solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Process the customer payment and bank fee as 2 different transactions.

Transaction 1:

The customer has paid $1000 towards an open invoice:

CASH $1000 Debit
    AR $1000 Credit

Apply payment to invoice

Transaction 2:

Bank charges you $25.00

Option 2:

Treat the $25 as a payment discount.

Cash $25 Credit
    Bank Fees $25 Debit
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • MindieMindie Member Posts: 124
    Thank you for your reply.

Option 1 will result in a bank deposit that does not equal the bank statement. This will make bank rec. impossible.

Option 2 is what they are doing now. It's a PITA.

Does anyone know what problems would be caused down stream if I comment out the error that is preventing them from posting the debit on the bank deposit?
  • ecclecticecclectic Member Posts: 176
    Mindie wrote:
    Thank you for your reply.

Option 1 will result in a bank deposit that does not equal the bank statement. This will make bank rec. impossible.

Use the same document no for both transactions. when reconciling u just cumulate transactions having same doc no.
    So have a deposit for $1000 and then a journal entry to the bank account for -$25.

It might work.

Since 75% of their payments come in this way it is still messier than I'd like. It does require 2 different screens and still an ugly bank rec.

I suppose it is better than what they are doing currently.
  • ecclecticecclectic Member Posts: 176
    Mindie wrote:
    It does require 2 different screens

u can actually process both entries in the general journal batch if u want.
    That's very true. They like the deposit form but I can just have them move the whole transaction over to the gen journal.