custom Customer Card... some help please

mr._incrediblemr._incredible Member Posts: 33
in order to speed up customer data entry in our call center (warranty claims, and service calls mostly)..

I created a simplified customer card for the call center..

name
address
City
State
Zip
Phone
email

now I need these Items to Default to the same setting for any customer entered on this custom form:

Payment Terms (always needs to be Credit Card)
Shipping Agent (Always needs to be UPS)
Ship Agent Service (Always needs to be Ground)
Customer Posting Group (always needs to be Service)

I need these to automatically default to those settings and not be editable on the custom Form, but still be able to manually change them on the regular customer card.

help please..

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Set the values in the OnNewRecord trigger of your custom form. If you display them make the textboxes non-editable
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    You can take a look at form 16 - Chart of Accounts. Every time you insert a new record some fields are inserted with values.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • mr._incrediblemr._incredible Member Posts: 33
    so this would require me to write the code in the C/AL Editor?

I don't have access to that, no developers license. is there another way..

I know someone with a Dev License, so if I had access how would I do it, I know nothing of writing code.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    What I've done for customers is to set up one 'default' customer that already have all the right settings like posting group, payment terms, anything you want. Add a field 'Default Customer' to S&R setup, and point to that customer. Then in the OnInsert trigger of the Customer table, I get the default customer, and replace the values that the user just entered.

That way, you can modify the default values, and a new customer always has the right setup.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142

Go into the customer Table. go to the fields above & view->properties.
    these you will see InitValue: enter UPS for shipping agent, etc for the others.
    I know someone with a Dev License, so if I had access how would I do it, I know nothing of writing code.

this is ONLY beacuse you don't want to use code as daniel has suggested which is the best way. but this will work for you.
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    I think this default values are only for that simpler customer card, if it’s the case then coding it’s advised to be done in form card. :-k
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
    I just found something called 'Customer Templates' in 5.0. I don't know what it is yet, but thought I'd mention is, as that might be what you're looking for.
  • mr._incrediblemr._incredible Member Posts: 33
    Savatage wrote:

Go into the customer Table. go to the fields above & view->properties.
    these you will see InitValue: enter UPS for shipping agent, etc for the others.

this is ONLY because you don't want to use code as daniel has suggested which is the best way. but this will work for you.

This worked perfect (and also thanks to Alex Chow who PM'd me the same info)

I made these the defaults on the Customer Table, then on the custom card I made them "un-editable" they are still changeable on the real customer card.

the real customer card has been removed from the service centers navigation pane, and the custom one is the only one they see, and their Managers have access to the real card if changes are required.

this should keep the errors to a minimum

thanks everyone.
    Glad you made it work. That goes to show that each situation has its own solution. I would not have thought initvalue would ever be really useful, but it seems I have to adjust that opinion :mrgreen:
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I make good non-dev license suggestions once in a while :mrgreen: