Options

When we create a new table in Navision , what is SQL doing?

cunnycunny Member Posts: 129
edited 2007-06-25 in SQL General
Hi all,

Does anybody have a clue about what is sql doing when we create a new table in Navision.

I want to create a new table in SQL and view it in Navision! I think there must be a way to get it!

Regards,

cunny
cunny Lee
MCP - MBS Navision
jle@naviworld.com

Comments

• Options
    deltoiddeltoid Member Posts: 41
    I can't say for sure but if you look at a SQL Navision database you will see the following.

Say your database has two companies, then you will have a different SQL table for each company.

ie.
    company1$customer
    company2$customer

The table also has an entry in the object table in Navision.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL General forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    cunnycunny Member Posts: 129
    hi deltoid,

Thanks for your reply.

I have create another table in sql which has the exactly format with a Navision table in SQL. But I still can not find it in Navision. And I also note that the diffreence between a typical sql table and a user table from Navision is there will be always a [timestamp] filed as the first filed in the user table from Navision and typical sql table does not have this field.

Further more, When we create a table in sql we can not specify the id and the name at one time and we can just specify one of them. And these are the requirements of creating table in Navision.

any idear?
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    For NAV to be able to work with SQL table, you need to create table definition within NAV. Without this you cannot work with table on SQL (or you can just through ADO). If you want to create table on SQL first, than you can connect this into NAV through LinkedObject property on the table within NAV. It allows you to connect the NAV table definition to e.g. SQL View. Search this forum for more info about LinkedObject.

I do not recommend to create tables outside NAV and connecting them into NAV if you do not have strong requirement why to do that...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Never create tables in SQL Directly.

Step 1; Open NAV and login as a Superuser
    Step 2; Make sure you have a good license
    Step 3; Open the object designer
    Step 4; Push NEW
    Step 5; Create some fields
    Step 6; Save the table with an ID

Now look in SQL server and see that your table is created.

You can also connect NAV tabledefinitions to SQL Views but this is not recommended unless you are an expert in this field.
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You can't create a table on SQL Server that NAV will recognize as a table. Creating NAV tables should always be done through the NAV IDE.

Search this forum on 'linked tables' and you should find posts about how to create a view on SQL Server and link that to a NAV table.
  • Options
    PerJuhlPerJuhl Member Posts: 55
    Hi

Take a look in Application Designers Guide page 105. (5.0)

The rule: Companyname@Customer only apply if the option
    "DataprCompany" = Yes.

If "DataprCompany"=No SQL TabelName = NavisionTableName
    unless you used special caracter like "ÆØÅ" this convert to "_"
    eg. the "Company" Table.

BR Per
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    The reason why you should do it through NAV IDE is because the IDE is also going to create a record (with BLOB) in the Object Table. There is the definition that NAV is going to use for its business logic and all... .

Try Denster's search. The same logic for linking Views can be applied on tables, created in SQL, but off course, you don't have any benefit of first creating the table in SQL, and then link it :|

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog