Merging Customised SP1 with SP3

sunnyksunnyk Member Posts: 280
Hi all,
I have customised SP1 with lots of customisation. now the client wants to merge it to SP3 because of some localization. anyone who does the same please share his/her thoughts, regarding manual merging or developer toolkit, how to start merging etc. In short i need steps that are required for merging.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MTCMTC Member Posts: 159
    sunnyk wrote:
    Hi all,
    I have customised SP1 with lots of customisation. now the client wants to merge it to SP3 because of some localization. anyone who does the same please share his/her thoughts, regarding manual merging or developer toolkit, how to start merging etc. In short i need steps that are required for merging.

Thanks in advance.

You can use the Developers toolkit (SP3) to do this no problem. And I'm assuming that you are doing this from one country version to the same, not trying to get say a W1 to upgrade directly into a localised version (this is a little more tricky)

A) Compile the database and get rid of all errors.

B) Open database in client of SP3.

C) Identify all MODIFIED OBJECTS, and export them as a single text file.

D) Do the same with a Cronus SP1, and export the exact same objects.

E) Open a Cronus SP3 and export the same objects.

F) Prepare a Developer's Toolkit database (SP3 comes with one)

G) Import the three text tiles into the Developer's toolkit using this database, and give them appropriate names: CRSP1, CRSP3, and ACTUAL (or whatever).

H) Use the developer's toolkit to merge the object files and create a new set of objects in a version called say FUSED.

I) Go through each object checking that there are no conflicts in properties or code with the merge. If there are, manually change the merge so that it is correct. If there is something in your (not the cronus) database that is not in SP1 or SP3 and it isn't a modification, remove it. If there is something in SP1 and your database but not in SP3, remove it. If you have a modification in your database objects or something new in SP3 you MUST use it. These things are quite obvious.

J) Once you have checked all of your objects, export text files from the developers toolkit but as one file per object.

K) Go to your original database, and export all new objects (basically ones that are not in a Cronus), and export them all as a FOB.

L) Open a Cronus SP3 and import these new objects in the fob.

M) Once by one (starting with tables, then codeunits, then forms, then whatever), try to import the fused object text files one by one and compile it. If you cannot compile, not what the problems are and go to the next object in the list. Sometimes you will have to comment out code to get an object to compile. Make sure that you document this clearly so you can go back later and compile once more without the commented/removed parts. Sometimes you may due to licence issues have to merge FOBs before you can import the text files, but I wouldn't worry about this for now.

N) Once all your objects have been imported and compiled, compile the entire database. Again, solve any problems until it all compiles without problem. Sometimes

O) Test, test, and test again. If you have any data to migrate, you will need to do that as well.

Good luck, and you will learn a lot in the time it takes you to do this, which depending upon the amount of modified objects could be up to a month if you have no experience.
  • sunnyksunnyk Member Posts: 280
    Thnks a lot ...MTC for this. 8)