New Project

dollarinsatiabledollarinsatiable Member Posts: 31
Hey All
I am new to Navision.We are starting a new project.I am comfortable with the terminology.Kindly guide me that what has to be done at client side after the installation of the software .I have some idea that we need to proceed towards FINANCIAL module.In financial also we have to create posting groups (IF I am not correct,tell me).

What hasto be done next and on what basis we define posting groups.
Thank you in advance

Comments

• dollarinsatiabledollarinsatiable Member Posts: 31
    No Help!!!!!!!!???????
  • ecclecticecclectic Member Posts: 176
    read the manual, it might help.

if its ur first ever erp/accounting implementation enjoy
    ecclectic wrote:

This is not my first implementation,but in this implementation i have to start.I donno how to start.I know how to carry on the project.
  • BgestelBgestel Member Posts: 136
    i share ecclectic's oppinion,

It is very advisable. to get a few days of training.
    After I would be glad to help you with specific questions.

have fun
    ** SI ** Bert Van Gestel **
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Do you have someone experience in Navision to help you out? If not, then you're about to walk into a world of hurt... :(
    Bgestel wrote:
    i share ecclectic's oppinion,

It is very advisable. to get a few days of training.
    After I would be glad to help you with specific questions.

have fun

Ma'an u try 2 tell.i'll definitely understand.
    Thanx
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Do you have someone experience in Navision to help you out? If not, then you're about to walk into a world of hurt... :(

I have 2 yrs of ex in navision but purely in technical.
    Now for starting a project functional is required.
    I request u all to guide me.i'll definitely pick up.
    Thanx
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    Liek the other said if you don't have someone that you can go to on your first implemetation your likely in for a hard time.

Things you need to do.

First up determine what processes are current happening at teh client. Work how each maps to NAV, where tehey don't see if you can change the process, otherwise start workiing out what customisations your going to need.

once you have this you need to design the Chart of accounts, hopefully the accountant at teh customer will do most of that but s/he will need guidence to ensure you have all the nessessary accounts for NAV. Determine the various posting groups, dimensions, pay terms, currencies etc that you are going to need to set up.

Either use the RIM tool, or design templates for all the master data you will require, if your not using Rim then you will need to build dataports to import the data.

After all of that you can actually start implemting the software, do all the setup tables, gather data and start importing it and be prepared to have to make some small alterations as you go, cos you never find it all out up front.

Always have a good clear scope of what you are doing it save a lot of trouble later when you want project sign off, anything that changes in the scope be sure to document and get agreement on, again it save trouble when you come to sign off the project.

Good luck

Ian
    Regards

Ian
  • pranav.2204pranav.2204 Member Posts: 45
    well....Ian_Piddington is right at his point.
    what we do is, we conduct a thorough study of client's processes for each department.
    we begin with finincial management, basically chart of account part.
    after that, make the set up's required. u can go thru account payable and receiveable at the same time.
    make the customization required at that time.
    better contact functional member of the team.
    a wrong decision at early stage can cost heavily in the later stage of project.
    if u have any questions.. pls feel free to ask.
    we are here to help each other... :lol:
    Alex Chow wrote:

I have 2 yrs of ex in navision but purely in technical.
    Now for starting a project functional is required.
    I request u all to guide me.i'll definitely pick up.
    Thanx

It's hard to help you if you just ask "please guide me". The question is too broad and requires face to face training, instead of leaning bits here and there from the forums.

The best use of forums are to get answers for specific questions you have.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I agree with Alex. This is an excellent place to get specific answers to specific questions, but not for general training or a guide to how you need to start and run an entire project.

It sounds to me that what you need is general functional training, which will probably take more time than you have. For now it is not helping your customer that you don't know what to do. You need to get one of your senior people to help you on this project, as you are clearly out of your depth.
    I don't think the technology is there yet to be able to replace "face to face" time between the student and the teacher.

Nonetheless, get experienced help to go onsite with you regarding your project. Prevent the implementation from being a bad one, because going in after it's been f'ed up is more unbillable work.
    Liek the other said if you don't have someone that you can go to on your first implemetation your likely in for a hard time.

Things you need to do.

First up determine what processes are current happening at teh client. Work how each maps to NAV, where tehey don't see if you can change the process, otherwise start workiing out what customisations your going to need.

once you have this you need to design the Chart of accounts, hopefully the accountant at teh customer will do most of that but s/he will need guidence to ensure you have all the nessessary accounts for NAV. Determine the various posting groups, dimensions, pay terms, currencies etc that you are going to need to set up.

Either use the RIM tool, or design templates for all the master data you will require, if your not using Rim then you will need to build dataports to import the data.

After all of that you can actually start implemting the software, do all the setup tables, gather data and start importing it and be prepared to have to make some small alterations as you go, cos you never find it all out up front.

Always have a good clear scope of what you are doing it save a lot of trouble later when you want project sign off, anything that changes in the scope be sure to document and get agreement on, again it save trouble when you come to sign off the project.

Good luck

Ian

Is there RIM Toll available for Dynamics NAV ,SP3??

Things you need to do.

Good luck

Ian

Is there RIM Tool available for Dynamics NAV ,SP3??

Is there RIM Tool available for Dynamics NAV ,SP3??
  • girish.joshigirish.joshi Member Posts: 407
    Yes, there is.

Form Setup Checklist -> Functions.

You will need to read the RIM documenation available online at Partnersource.

Be careful, RIM is a nice start, but isn't all there as a data migration tool. The main issue, as Ian indicated, is there isn't any code in the tool to handle unexpectedly formatted data (there are other issues too).

Good luck, but agree strongly with Alex and Denster that you should consider getting someone more experienced directly involved. Its more than unfair to the customer, its unfair to the product whose reputation all of our livelihoods are tied to.
    RIM cannot substitute a good implementor or project manager. Just like buying a nice car doesn't make you a better driver.

:wink:
    ecclectic wrote:

Which manual?
  • flfl Member Posts: 184
    Which manual?

What do you think about the different manuals available on partnersource ? (Finance I & II, Trade, Inventory, Service, Marketing and Sales, Warehouse, Production I & II,...). You really should understand them before starting a new implementation.
    Francois
    Consultant-Developper

http://www.CreaChain.com