Automation of Item Tracking (Lot)

HalMdyHalMdy Member Posts: 429
Hello !

Here is the problem : the company receives items from vendors and assign lots No. on. They have a clear FIFO politic. So, is there a trick to automatically put tracking information on sales, according to FIFO, in place of asking users to manually fill Lot No. on each Sales Lines ?

Thx for suggestions !

Comments

• afarrafarr Member Posts: 287
    Our client has the same requirement, i.e. to assign Lot No. automatically using FIFO.

Has anyone implemented something like this?

We are thinking of using the following functions (or modifications of them):

AssignLotNo from form 6510 for inbound items;
    AssistEditLotSerialNo from Codeunit 6500 for outbound items.

Is this the best approach?
    What do you mean by
    fill[ing] in "Reservation Entry" table properly

Thanks,
    Alastair
    Alastair Farrugia
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    I get this request all the time. My question is why are you lot tracking?. If you allow the system to auto-assign lot numbers to sales how can you guarentee the integrity of the lot tracking. Did the shipper actually ship the correct lot.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    edited 2008-05-07
    Hi bbrown,

Thanks for your fast reply.
    I can see your point now. If an item from Lot A gets broken, then the system will start recording the wrong Lot No. unless a Negative Adjustment (qty 1) is made for Lot A.
    So all the shippers would either have to wait until this Negative Adjmt is made, or else record the wrong Lot No.

Whereas with a manual system they could record the actual Lot Nos that they are shipping.

We will raise this issue with the client and see what they say.
    Thanks!

BlackTiger,
    I was going to say the same thing that you did, but then I realised that even with a print-out that tells you which lot no.s to pick from, the warehouse personnel may find that it is actually impossible to pick the quantities indicated on their print-out (say, because an item has been broken or stolen).

There needs to be some sort of manual over-ride so that people can record the actual lot no.s that they picked.
    Alastair Farrugia
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    BlackTiger wrote:
    bbrown wrote:
    I get this request all the time. My question is why are you lot tracking?. If you allow the system to auto-assign lot numbers to sales how can you guarentee the integrity of the lot tracking. Did the shipper actually ship the correct lot.

:lol: Yes, good point. But you're not quite right. It depends on actions order. Some customers want to assign lot numbers automatically, print document, go to the warehouse and try to collect items using suggested lots.

Yes, pre-assign a lot number but still provide a mechanism in which the shipper may over-ride it and enter the lot actually shipped.

Many clients I deal with are handling fresh produce or other food products where lot tracking integrity is becoming critical for recall purposes.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • ayhan06ayhan06 Member Posts: 210
    I didnt test it but it can work. In customer cards, set "Reserve" field "Always". In item cards, set "Reserve" field to "Optional". When you open sales order, system will try to reserve items in sales order automatically.. i hope it will also collect item tracking information from item ledger and set item tracking inforöatrion to sales order.. at least, i think it sould work in this way :D
    Thanks for the reply. We currently have some more urgent issues, but I will try this later.
    Alastair Farrugia