adealukoadealuko Member Posts: 9
I need help on how to setup and implement bar coding solution for NAV 4.0

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Hello.
    Download the font from this location

http://www.squaregear.net/fonts/free3of9.shtml

Only copy FRE3OF9X.TTF into the windows\font folder

In navision open any report. goto section. click on the text box that you want to print as barcode. Click on properties and search for FontName Property.
    Change it to Free 3 of 9 Extended.
    Find Property SourceExpr. If the sourceExpr is Item."No." change it to
    '*'+ Item."No." + '*'

Basically add '*' at the beginning and end. If the value is an integer you need to do this. For example. Item.Quantity is in SourcExpr. Change it to
    '*'+ format(Item.Quantity) + '*'

Good Luck
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • aliennavaliennav Member Posts: 449
    I have configured the font and made the changes such as source expression value(I am using quantity),Font name.
    It is displaying in the report in the coded format.

Now my question is that what i have to do for authentication of that barcodes with the barcode reading machine.
    Do i need to do some special changes?
    aliennav wrote:
    I have configured the font and made the changes such as source expression value(I am using quantity),Font name.
    It is displaying in the report in the coded format.

Now my question is that what i have to do for authentication of that barcodes with the barcode reading machine.
    Do i need to do some special changes?

No replies.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    There is nothing you need to do with the barcode.

Make sure the text is large enough for the scanner to read it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You just needs to thing about "what I will do with the BarCode". Where it will be entered through scanner, is this area in NAV or have access to needed information? Printing BarCode is one thing, working with it is another one...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    You just needs to thing about "what I will do with the BarCode". Where it will be entered through scanner, is this area in NAV or have access to needed information? Printing BarCode is one thing, working with it is another one...

hey kine.U r rite on ur part but until n unless the code doesn't work ,there's no use of printing it.
    So kindly help me to move further.
    one more thing i don't think that it was a tedious job to print the bar code.The real skill is to get it read.
    Thanx
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Reading barcode is as easy as typing the information by keyboard but with rate 100characters per second... ;-)

Best scanner for NAV is "keyboard scanner" - barcode scanner sending the read characters as input from keyboard. It means, you move cursor within NAV into field where you can insert the data and just press the button on the scanner. Code from barcode will be inserted into the field and rest is on the NAV (e.g. Item No. is filled and validation is called).

If you cannot read the 3of9 barcode, may be you need to enable this type of barcode on the scanner or you need to print it bigger or you are using printer with low quality (barcode must be sharp). But without more info about the scanner etc. it is not possible to give you more hints.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine wrote:
    Reading barcode is as easy as typing the information by keyboard but with rate 100characters per second... ;-)

Best scanner for NAV is "keyboard scanner" - barcode scanner sending the read characters as input from keyboard. It means, you move cursor within NAV into field where you can insert the data and just press the button on the scanner. Code from barcode will be inserted into the field and rest is on the NAV (e.g. Item No. is filled and validation is called).

If you cannot read the 3of9 barcode, may be you need to enable this type of barcode on the scanner or you need to print it bigger or you are using printer with low quality (barcode must be sharp). But without more info about the scanner etc. it is not possible to give you more hints.

Thanx