Nabvision Restore Problem

matias_jaurematias_jaure Member Posts: 157
Hello,
We are beginning the migration of Navision 3.7 to 4.03, first we make a Navision back up, after we convert the 3.7 Database to 4.0, then we create a new 4.0 database. May be we can have the problem here, because we have a 55Gb Database and it is recommended to create a double size dabatase, but regarding space issues we create a database of 70Gb. When we run the restore everything seems all right but it tooks 24hs and it had not finished yet. So, we stop it and then the SQL instance stops working, but it is another story...

My question is, anybody has done a Navision Restore? How long it takes? and regarding the database size may be someone had have the same problem.

Thank you for your time!!!

Matias

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I have restored far smaller databases and had it take close to 10 hours. It all depends on the speed of your machine.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hello,
    We are beginning the migration of Navision 3.7 to 4.03, first we make a Navision back up, after we convert the 3.7 Database to 4.0, then we create a new 4.0 database. May be we can have the problem here, because we have a 55Gb Database and it is recommended to create a double size dabatase, but regarding space issues we create a database of 70Gb. When we run the restore everything seems all right but it tooks 24hs and it had not finished yet. So, we stop it and then the SQL instance stops working, but it is another story...

My question is, anybody has done a Navision Restore? How long it takes? and regarding the database size may be someone had have the same problem.

Thank you for your time!!!

Matias

Hi Matias, I fully understand your situation. Actually I am in a very similar situation.

Last week I decided to go for a trip on my bike, and in the end, after riding all day and all night, I still was not there. I am not sure why. So I ask you "how long should it take me to get there on my bike"?
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    What David means is that it depends on a GREAT MANY different things, so it is impossible to tell you anything meaningful.

The part that takes the most time is building indexes and SIFT tables, and that gets multiplied exponentially if you have a large number of companies, so it sounds to me like you have a database with many of those. Of course it is all speculation on my part. :mrgreen:
    DenSter wrote:
    What David means is that it depends on a GREAT MANY different things, so it is impossible to tell you anything meaningful.

The part that takes the most time is building indexes and SIFT tables, and that gets multiplied exponentially if you have a large number of companies, so it sounds to me like you have a database with many of those. Of course it is all speculation on my part. :mrgreen:

Sorry, long day :mrgreen: yes that's exactly what I mean.
    David Singleton
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    In additional to everything mentioned above...

You say that you made the database 70 GB, but how large did you make the transaction log? Auto-expansion of the transaction log during the restore can have a sizable impact on time to restore. Expand the transaction log large enough so it does not need to expand during the restore. I tend to go 150-200% of DB size. Also be sure the log is on its own dedicated disk. (RAID 1)

Even with this it is not uncommon for restores of large databases to take 20+ hours.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • matias_jaurematias_jaure Member Posts: 157
    Thank you everybody for the help!... except for David, I suggest you to but a motocycle and you will reach your house earlier ( :mrgreen: just kidding... thank you to you too). Now I have other issue here, we left the machine doing the restore during the weekend, but when we come here we found the machine turn off :cry: we don't know what happened (please don't laugh at me for this), the problem is the same, the SQL instance stop responding (any idea to recover it? or I have to install it again like before)
    ... David, I suggest you to but a motocycle ...

:D I like that suggestion.
    David Singleton
    T..., the SQL instance stop responding (any idea to recover it? or I have to install it again like before)

Almost certainly you need to start again. Even if you worked it out (doing some SQL magic), you would never be sure that the data was valid.
    David Singleton
    Almost certainly you need to start again. Even if you worked it out (doing some SQL magic), you would never be sure that the data was valid.

OK.. all again! :evil: , well... I ask for a final suggestion: our old database was 55Gb of database_1.mdf file, 1Gb database.mdf and 1Gb database_Log.ldf, What's your suggestion about file size. I was thinking that a good one could be database_1.mdf = 110Gb, database.mdf = 2Gb and database_Log.ldf = 110Gb. Any idea?

OK.. all again! :evil: , well... I ask for a final suggestion: our old database was 55Gb of database_1.mdf file, 1Gb database.mdf and 1Gb database_Log.ldf, What's your suggestion about file size. I was thinking that a good one could be database_1.mdf = 110Gb, database.mdf = 2Gb and database_Log.ldf = 110Gb. Any idea?

Leave the mdf at about 200Meg, but create an ndf file about 120 Gig. Log 110 should be enough, but if you have multiple companies or something like that, then it may need more. Remember that after the restore you can possibly shrink your Log file somewhat.
    David Singleton
    Leave the mdf at about 200Meg, but create an ndf file about 120 Gig. Log 110 should be enough, but if you have multiple companies or something like that, then it may need more. Remember that after the restore you can possibly shrink your Log file somewhat.

OK, Thank you very much sir!.. I will try it... When it finishes I will tell you how well it was.. (I hope so.. )
    ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
    I have create it and I restore the Navision back up on it, the day next Navision is wating me with a sign sayng "Table Data 50018 does not exist" and then it exit. :shock:

I found that it is a view, I don't understand how can I view it in Navision?.. The only solution that I think is deleting it and doing the backup again..

How can I solve this ??!!
  • David_CoxDavid_Cox Member Posts: 509
    ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
    I have create it and I restore the Navision back up on it, the day next Navision is wating me with a sign sayng "Table Data 50018 does not exist" and then it exit. :shock:

I found that it is a view, I don't understand how can I view it in Navision?.. The only solution that I think is deleting it and doing the backup again..

How can I solve this ??!!

Check that 50018 is not a linked table this will give that error, we had this problem and solved it by Creating the database, then we restored the objects from the backup, by going to Object Designer, Import and pointing it to the backup and not a fob file, then when this was done we ran the restore, it treated it as a data only backup, no faster but no errors! :D

David
    Analyst Developer with over 17 years Navision, Contract Status - Busy
    Mobile: +44(0)7854 842801
    Email: david.cox@adeptris.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Adeptris