Contact Card Type = Company of a Company

shaneshane Member Posts: 20
Has anyone modified the contact functionality to allow a company to be associated to another company and not just a person?

We would like to have this type of functionality but I thought I would pose the question for advice prior to making any changes.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Navision 4.0 SP2

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I've never done it, but you could just export everything to a text file and do a search for "Type=CONST(Company)". If it has something to do with contacts then you can take out that part of the requirement in the table relation or whatever it is.

You might also want to search for anytime a filter is set on Type=Company as well.

Just my two cents. Probably nothing you haven't thought of. Good luck.
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    I'll suggest solving it by making an additional field, i.e. called "Subsidiary of Contact No.". Then you don't risk messing up the existing inheritance, and have full control of how you want the new functionality to work.
    Regards
    Peter
  • shaneshane Member Posts: 20
    I'll suggest solving it by making an additional field, i.e. called "Subsidiary of Contact No.". Then you don't risk messing up the existing inheritance, and have full control of how you want the new functionality to work.

Yes, after some review I came to the same conclusion. Changing the behaviour of the contact types is more involved and risky than I’m willing to endure right now. I have created a new table that essentially links contact numbers to other contact numbers (Company to Sub-Company). Now I’m just building the filters etcetera to easily view the relationships.
  • pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    shane wrote:
    I have created a new table that essentially links contact numbers to other contact numbers (Company to Sub-Company).
    I don't see the need for a new table unless you need to be able to have a Contact below multiple Contacts. Unless the Customer really insist on the ability I wouldn't do it - it makes the solution unnecessary complex in my opinion. (both coding and usability wise)
    Regards
    Peter