Customer."Search Name"

icobaniicobani Member Posts: 70
How work "Sales Header"."Sell-to Customer No." and Customer."Search Name" relation. I m not undersand. please help me. I want same relation another custom tables.

thanks.[/b]
Ibrahim COBANI | Dynamics-NAV Developer Team Manager
I m a Consult

E-Mail: ibrahim@imaconsult.com
My BLOG

Comments

• WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Imho, they have no relation at all .. can you give more info?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • icobaniicobani Member Posts: 70
    Waldo wrote:
    Imho, they have no relation at all .. can you give more info?

Ok I m opening Orders form and press F3 and Enter. It find customer when I m entering a search name on the "sell-to customer no". I look Sell-to Customer No. On Validate triger but not find a code. I m not understand.
    I m a Consult

My BLOG
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    icobani wrote:
    How work "Sales Header"."Sell-to Customer No." and Customer."Search Name" relation. I m not undersand. please help me. I want same relation another custom tables.

thanks.[/b]

Actually they are linked, but at first glance it is not so obvious.

If you look at the customer table:18 then look at properties for "No.", field:1.
    find the property AltSearchField and you will see that this points to Search name.

Navision allows you to add an alternate field for searching in a linked table.

this mean s that any field in another table (e.g. "Sales Header"."Sell-to Customer No.") that linkes to table 18, field 1, will also link to the Search name.

This link ONLY works for manual keyboard entry. Basically if it does not find a record with the primary key, it then searches the AltSearchField instead. Of course there is still the limit that you can only enter 20 characters, but it is really useful if you want to enter the customer name instead of the umber.
    David Singleton
  • icobaniicobani Member Posts: 70
    icobani wrote:

thanks.[/b]

Actually they are linked, but at first glance it is not so obvious.

If you look at the customer table:18 then look at properties for "No.", field:1.
    find the property AltSearchField and you will see that this points to Search name.

Navision allows you to add an alternate field for searching in a linked table.

this mean s that any field in another table (e.g. "Sales Header"."Sell-to Customer No.") that linkes to table 18, field 1, will also link to the Search name.

This link ONLY works for manual keyboard entry. Basically if it does not find a record with the primary key, it then searches the AltSearchField instead. Of course there is still the limit that you can only enter 20 characters, but it is really useful if you want to enter the customer name instead of the umber.

Thanks David,

But I have a problem My primary key is include 2 field. how can I solve this problem.
    I m a Consult

My BLOG
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    icobani wrote:
    Thanks David,

But I have a problem My primary key is include 2 field. how can I solve this problem.

OK, so I guess that the customer thing is not a problem, but just that that is what you were tryingto replicate. Well you are for sure doing it the right way, i.e. copying standard navision functionality. But...

In this case I don't think that will work. I assume you are drilling down on the second part of the primary key, but then I am not sure how you would do it. For sure it might be possible, but I have never tried. Of course you could do it in code, but that would be very messy.

Can you describe exactly what you are trying to achieve.
    David Singleton