Posting sales invoice.Speed differences between users

jlsabiojlsabio Member Posts: 38
Hi,

i want to know why a user can post sales invoices faster than other in the same machine.

The difference is very high. Sometimes the slow user need 50 min to post an invoice. My user (the faster) take only 1-2 minutes to do it.

Thanks.

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    possible causes:
    -no of lines in invoice
    -other type of invoices (other customers,items,....)
    -some code that triggers only for certain users
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• jlsabiojlsabio Member Posts: 38
    thanks kriki but you are not right

i did the test with similars invoice:

-same customer
    -same no. of lines
    -same items
    etc...
    -Is it always like this or does it happen casually? In the latter case it can be that the server was occupied at the moment
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• RChurchillRChurchill Member Posts: 55
    Sometimes you can experience different times to things when the DBMS Cache differs greatly between two machines.
  • mart1n0mart1n0 Member Posts: 123
    Isn't a lot of logic executed on the client so if you have one fast machine and one slow the fast machine should be done much faster as it's just calculating faster.

Do they have the same connection speed to the Navision server?
  • jlsabiojlsabio Member Posts: 38
    I did the test in the same machine, with the same client, with the same cache, with similar invoices (same customer, no. lines and items...). The one and only difference was the navision user.

Thanks!
    remains:
    -could it be that in that moment the server was more occupied? Or is it always like that?
    -maybe some code that is triggered for that certain user?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    One machine is probably filled with spyware, trojans, and virus.

I bet if you format that computer and reinstall NAV on it, it'll be just as fast.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Maybe the slow computer is a Pentium 2 with 16MB of RAM, and the fast one is a Dual Core with 4GB of RAM.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Maybe the slow computer is on a wireless connection and the fast one is connected directly to the server.
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    jlsabio wrote:
    I did the test in the same machine, with the same client, with the same cache, with similar invoices (same customer, no. lines and items...). The one and only difference was the navision user.

Thanks!
    This is a tough one. same machine, same everything except user id.

things unique to user id could be salesperson code, which can have dimensions posted and interactions logged. If it is logging interaction or try to sync something with outlook for the invoice that could be causing a problem. just a wild guess though.
  • Ian_Piddington10199Ian_Piddington10199 Member Posts: 167
    Have you tried using the Code Coverage and Client Monitor tools too see if different code in invoked? If it is user dependant I'd start looking at the differences between the users and what other 'processes' happen for the slowler one.
    Regards

Ian
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    and are both users DB users or Windows users?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • NoelineNoeline Member Posts: 54
    Could it not be an object cache issue?
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    jlsabio wrote:
    Hi,

i want to know why a user can post sales invoices faster than other in the same machine.

The difference is very high. Sometimes the slow user need 50 min to post an invoice. My user (the faster) take only 1-2 minutes to do it.

Thanks.

Firstly I just want to say that I have definitely seen scenarios where the exact some document will post dramatically faster with a SUPER user than with a restricted user, so I don't think you are crazy :mrgreen: mind you I have never seen a 50:1 ratio like you have, but for sure its possible.

Normally things like this are a combination of a lot of little things, but to get a 50:1 ratio, then I think its one major thing. Almost certainly a bad key/filter combination, or a security setup using a bad flow field.

So in that case what I would do is create a new user with super permission, and post a test invoice. Then compare to the Slow user ID, and add just one security thing at a time. Eg add Responsibility Center and then post and write down the time. DO this step by step, until the new user has all the same permissions and restrictions as that slow user. At one point you will see a strange jump in the time to post, and there is where your problem is.

Keep in mind also that Super user just has to check permission to the base object types, but as you remove Object 0 and add the others, more and more testing is done. BUT I don't think that is enough to explain the 50:1 ratio.
    David Singleton
    Keep in mind also that Super user just has to check permission to the base object types, but as you remove Object 0 and add the others, more and more testing is done. BUT I don't think that is enough to explain the 50:1 ratio.
    Specially that Navision keeps those in the client-memory. At least that is my guess considering that after changing security setup. The session needs to disconnect,reconnect to use the new security setup.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• thaugthaug Member Posts: 106
    What version are you running, and what is your backend?

If they are Windows users, are they on the same domain? What are the permission differences?
    There is no data, only bool!