Permission to forms but not to tables

sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
Dear All,

Is it possible to give permissions to a form without giving permission to the table itself. If for example I want to give permission to the Chart of Accounts List but not to all forms which refer to the Chart of Accounts table. What should I do?

Comments

• diptish.naskardiptish.naskar Member Posts: 360
    sabzam wrote:
    Dear All,

Is it possible to give permissions to a form without giving permission to the table itself. If for example I want to give permission to the Chart of Accounts List but not to all forms which refer to the Chart of Accounts table. What should I do?

I don't think so..
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    You need to give permission to the table, otherwise the table cannot be run.
    But you can decide to give permission ONLY to some forms, so the other forms will not be accessible.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
    Hi Kriki,

How can I do this? Doesn't permission to a table automatically provides permission to all the related forms?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    sabzam wrote:
    Hi Kriki,

How can I do this? Doesn't permission to a table automatically provides permission to all the related forms?
    In the security system you have
    -TableData : these give access to the records in the tables (RIMD).
    -Table : this gives access to run the code in the object Table (E).
    -Form,Report,Dataport,... : this gives access to run the object (E).

So in your security, you must give these:
    -TableData 15:RIMD
    -Table 15:E
    -Form 18:E

With these settings they can open form 18 but not the other forms. (probably you will also need other permissions for the G/L Entry Table because of the flowfields).
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

sabzam wrote:
    Hi Kriki,

No, providing a permission to a specific table diesnot means that all the related forms will inherit the same permission for the user. To provide the permission to a specific form, go to security->Database Logins->Roles and provide the form name and the desired permission.
    Diptish Naskar
    For any queries you can also visit my blog site: http://msnavarena.blogspot.com/
    Thanks to everybody for your help
    HI I have been trying to solve this issue but with no success. Let's say I have got a user who is to be able to post an invoice. Now I am crently using the Navision default role of S&R. One of the tables which a user will need is the G/L tables to choose a G/L account to which he should post. Even though the user needs it I don't want to grant him the permission to view the Chart of Accounts with all the balances ect. How should I got around it?
  • sreesree Member Posts: 41
    Let me know about the how to design & Run the xmpl port

Can any one tell the steps to follow.

Regards
    Thanks in advance
    sabzam wrote:
    HI I have been trying to solve this issue but with no success. Let's say I have got a user who is to be able to post an invoice. Now I am crently using the Navision default role of S&R. One of the tables which a user will need is the G/L tables to choose a G/L account to which he should post. Even though the user needs it I don't want to grant him the permission to view the Chart of Accounts with all the balances ect. How should I got around it?

Hi,

You can also provide an idirect aceess to the users for situations like this.
    Diptish Naskar
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Since the ALL role gives permission to all forms that will override any specific forms you give access to. Theoretically this role is given to everyone.

I started running into the same problems in my current security project and decided that Navision method of SUPER access for everything except Table Data just didn't work for us.

One thing I have discovered is that you can give read access to all table data, but then give insert/modify/delete permissions for individual tables. Then you can take away access to every form and only give out the ones you need. It's saved a lot of time when creating custom roles because far fewer forms are accessed and data modified than data read.

I think you might have to do something similar, but maybe not. If you don't want to go that in depth, just make a role called VIEW CHART or something and check to make sure the user has it in the onopenform trigger.