SIFT Level

vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
Whats the SIFT Level?
Vikram Dabas
Navision Technical Consultant

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    It is for use on SQL with keys with SIFT-fields in it. With a Navision DB, they have no use.
    For example key:
    "Item No.,Variant Code,Location Code, Dimension 1,Dimension 2" with SIFTfield Quantity.
    This SIFT can be used to know the quantity in inventory.
    BUT in general you don't need to know it per "Dimension 1" or "Dimension 2".
    In general you want it for the item no. or per location code.
    So you don't need to keep SIFT levels Variant Code or dimension 1 or dimension 2.
    In SQL, SIFT keeps a total for each field (this not completely correct but less or more) in the index. But some of those, you don't need so you can also decide NOT to maintain a certain SIFTLevel.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    So to elaborate on Alain's example:

Key:
    Document Type,Type,No.,Variant Code with SIFTfield Quantity.

put your cursor in the 'SIFTLevels' property of the key designer, and click the ellipsis button (...). You'll see something like this:
    Bucket No.	SIFT Level	Maintain
    0	GRAND TOTAL	No
    1	Document Type	No
    2	Document Type,Type	No
    3	Document Type,Type,No.	No
    4	Document Type,Type,No.,Variant Code	No

Each of those buckets are a 'SIFT level', which you can turn off and on individually.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    kriki wrote:
    In SQL, SIFT keeps a total for each field (this not completely correct but less or more) in the index. But some of those, you don't need so you can also decide NOT to maintain a certain SIFTLevel.

When you say it keeps a total, do you mean that it keeps a total for all the flowfields in the table? Or all the decimal fields? Or The SumIndexFields?
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    DenSter wrote:

Key:

put your cursor in the 'SIFTLevels' property of the key designer, and click the ellipsis button (...). You'll see something like this:
    0	GRAND TOTAL	No
    1	Document Type	No
    2	Document Type,Type	No

Each of those buckets are a 'SIFT level', which you can turn off and on individually.

And you can see that in the Sales Line table, in the first secondary key. Next to the Primary. :)

Another question. Can I create a SIFT Level? If yes, how? Many Thanks..
    Navision noob....
  • strykstryk Member Posts: 645
    Maybe you want to check out my BLOG about SIFT: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/2007/10/28/included-columns-vs-sift-tables.aspx

Regards,
    Jörg
    Jörg A. Stryk (MVP - Dynamics NAV)
    NAV/SQL Performance Optimization & Troubleshooting
    STRYK System Improvement
    The Blog - The Book - The Tool
  • NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
    stryk wrote:
    Maybe you want to check out my BLOG about SIFT: http://dynamicsuser.net/blogs/stryk/archive/2007/10/28/included-columns-vs-sift-tables.aspx

Regards,
    Jörg

That was a great blog. Thanks a lot Jorg.
    Navision noob....
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Alex Chow wrote:
    kriki wrote:

When you say it keeps a total, do you mean that it keeps a total for all the flowfields in the table? Or all the decimal fields? Or The SumIndexFields?
    I meant all the SumIndexFields.
    NaviDev wrote:
    DenSter wrote:

Key:

0	GRAND TOTAL	No
    1	Document Type	No
    2	Document Type,Type	No

And you can see that in the Sales Line table, in the first secondary key. Next to the Primary. :)

The SIFT levels are defined by the fields in the key. So by adding fields in the key, you create extra SIFT Levels. (I hope this answers your question. I didn't understand exactly what you want.)
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    NaviDev wrote:
    You can't manually add a SIFT level to the SIFT level list. You can, however, add a field to the key. When you do this, NAV will add the SIFT level that comes with that new field to the SIFT level list, and from there you can choose to enable or disable it.