Business Analytics: License Expired

ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
Hi
We have a strange issue (on a test system). Ant server is running, but when connecting with BA Client, we get the error message "License Expired".
Even changing the license to our partner license does not work.
Navision 4 SP2, SQL Server 2000, Using the newest BA executables.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thomas

Answers

• ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    Hello Thomas,

You must run the "Configure Business Analytics Advanced" from the Business Analytics Advanced of the BA CD.

It will ask you to choose the path of the client that holds the license and you must pick a Nav Client folder that has as fin.flf your license file...

I had some problems during that configuration about the license but I managed to overcome it by using a Nav 4.0 (no service pack) client folder even when using the Nav SP3 BA objects.

I hope I helped a bit...

I advice you to write down all the procedures that you have followed to install it correctly because it is a very tricky installation in case you want to do it again in the future...
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    Hi Arhontis
    Thanks for your reply. I'm using a BA Version from Partnersource (Self extracting file named "BusinessAnalyticSuite.exe") which does not have the CD menu anymore. Normally I used just to click to the configurator.exe in order to load a new license. But in this case it does not help.

Any other ideas?

Regards
    Thomas
    By clicking to the configurator.exe it asked you for the path of the client that holds the license file?

If yes then why it doesn't help now? You get an error message? or it goes fine but still get the Expired message? Have you stop/start the services?

It was working before and somehow it stop working or never worked?
    Hi Arhontis

My answers here:
    - By clicking configurator.exe I'm asked for a directory containing the fin.flf
    But the problem persists, even after restarting the service. Still the message "License expired"
    - Yes, it worked before.
    I studied the Technical White Paper for the Suite (haven't ever used the BA Suite)... At page 14 it has the procedure that you must follow to upload a license file because the installation gives a 30 days expiration.

I guess you follow that procedure described at that paper? At the end of the procedure the configurator shows a report of success or failure (with 4 steps)... I guess it doesn't show any errors there?

Have you put your license file in the Client directory that you use in the configurator as a License Program Folder? I think (at least in earlier versions of BA) that it must be the only flf in the directory and must have the name "fin.flf".

First of all you must be certain that the license you use must include license for the BA (purchased). At a customer of mine when he asked and bought the BA we sended the flf of the customer at MS to update it with the BA capability.

* Validate that the license file contains the permission to use BA.
    * Delete all flf flies from the directory you pick, place your customer's flf in that directory and rename it to fin.flf.
    * Rerun the configurator.

I have no other ideas... In early versions I had problem uploading the flf whith Nav 4.0 SP2, so after some tries I used Nav 4.0 Client (no service pack) directory to use and upload the flf with the configurator...
    Hi
    I've now reinstalled and it works again. Well that was a bit fast since the error is gone and it will probably return in 30 days. ](*,)
    I will then try again with a client directory with contains fin.flf as the only *.flf file.

Crazy enough, when clicking on the file baconfigurator40.exe (Dated Jan 23, 2007) only the path to the license is asked, no more.
    Maybe this is because we are using the configurator for sql 2000?
    I guess so... You could try uploading your customer's flf without waiting the 30 days expiration... And remember that there is a possibility that the configurator doesn't want Nav 4.0 SP3 client folder with the flf, but 4.0 SP0, like in my case...

My BAConfigurator40.exe is dated 11 April 2005 (ver 2.0 at the properties), you have new one, so it might work with client of Nav 4.0 SP3...

Many people have similar problems with BA, if you come up with anything post it here for future reference...

Good luck...
    I think we have solved the problem.

Seems to be a bug (maybe under special conditions only), the Date of Expiration is not updated if the clients license is configured for BA.

Anyway, it is possible to change the date in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TARGIT\Antserver\Default\License\ExpirationDate
  • johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
    Hi ta5,

I got error "License Expired" when start Enterprise Manager of BA. I am using NAV 4 SP3 and SQL Server 2005 x64 and Windows Server 2003 x64. Do you have experience of license expired when start Enterprise Manager too?

Then, you suggest to change date in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TARGIT\Antserver\Default\License\ExpirationDate. What date do you use in this ExpirationDate?

Thanks before for your information.
    Best regards,

Johanna
  • johannajohanna Member Posts: 369
    johanna wrote:
    Hi ta5,

I got error "License Expired" when start Enterprise Manager of BA. I am using NAV 4 SP3 and SQL Server 2005 x64 and Windows Server 2003 x64. Do you have experience of license expired when start Enterprise Manager too?

Then, you suggest to change date in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TARGIT\Antserver\Default\License\ExpirationDate. What date do you use in this ExpirationDate?

Thanks before for your information.

Hi ta5,
    Sorry, I don't read carefully your first post in this topic. You got error message "License Expired" when connecting with BA Client. It's different from my error.. :D
    Thank you for your suggestion to change date in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TARGIT\Antserver\Default\License\ExpirationDate. It solve my error too. But, in x64 environment, I have changed the date in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TARGIT\Antserver\Default\License\ExpirationDate.. :)
    Thank you, ta5 :)
    Best regards,

Johanna
    Welcome!
    Thomas