Navision 2.0 & Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2005

AlexStepAlexStep Member Posts: 3
edited 2007-05-27 in Navision Financials
Hi All!

Ask to experts familiar with version Navision 2.0. Our customer uses Navision Database Server. Whether it is possible to run this base at Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2005? Whether we realize the script: backup in Navision Database Server -> restore in SQL Server -> connection by clients of version 2.0 or 3.6 or 4.0? Unfortunately, we don't have this version, but our customer is interested in such opportunity.

Thanks and Regards!

Alex.

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    2.0 allows the same name to be repeated. E.G. you can have the same report name.

Also the code is not written for SQL. Granted you can make the necessary changes,
    and rename the objects and move them to sql, but it won't be just a simple backup and restore.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    It should be possible but be carefull while determining the budget.

We are going to do exactly this with a 2.6 customer and have a really huge budget.

Often clients like this have a tailored system which exactly mach their needs and a functional upgrade is not nessesairy. They use NAV as a customisation tool for their business needs.

Good luck on your project.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Yes, but as far as I know, 2.6 "was written for SQL" (as far as this was possible back then, off course).

I suggest you do an comparison of the objects with the 2.6 objects, see what code was changed specifically for SQL Server compatibility. You can do that really fast with Araxis merge :wink: .

Also, count some days for performance tuning. That's what we did for the customer Mark mentioned ... (if it's the same as I think it is) ... and that's what made the budget somewhat huge ... we are really going to monitor what the system is doing in detail.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog