Options

Character set problem

Frank_HulsboschFrank_Hulsbosch Member Posts: 17
edited 2005-12-26 in Navision Financials
We are keeping our product specifications in different languages within one Navision database.

As de languages are getting more exotic and use different character sets we are having problem with storing, retrieving and making visible texts in Polish, Greek, Czech etc.

Does anybody know a solution how to store all texts within Navision but with its own character set / codepage ?

The only way to go around this problem is to setup the Windows 2000 workstation with Regional Settings Polish and by using a Polish Navision Client (which we do not want because we work with Navision WW 2.50 over al our offices)

Please help (is there maybe a solution in Navision 3.60 / 3.70 ?)
:(
FH

Comments

• Options
    eromeineromein Member Posts: 589
    could you give us a sample of what is going wrong?
    "Real programmers don't comment their code.
    If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."
  • Options
    Frank_HulsboschFrank_Hulsbosch Member Posts: 17
    Original text (entered with Polish Navision Client (2.5) with Central Europe set as Default Language and locale set to Polish)

Ponad 6 milionów 300 tysięcy uczniów rozpoczęło dzisiaj rok szkolny. Centralna inauguracja roku 2003/2004 odbyła się w Staniszewie w województwie

The same text when retrieved on a WW 2.50 Client with Western Europe and United States as Default Language and locale set to Dutch

Ponad 6 milionów 300 tysi®cy uczniów rozpocz®êo dzisiaj rok szkolny. Centralna inauguracja roku 2003/2004 odbyêa si® w Staniszewie w województwie

These texts are stored in a normal table within Navision (text 250) with a Language Code field to indicate the language.

I've marked some positions were the system goes wrong because of the character set...

I hope somebody has a solution for this problem since I'm running out of options.
    FH
  • Options
    lagersjeflagersjef Member Posts: 57
    I am having a similar problem:
    I have moved one Nav 2.60 db from one server to another. Both db servers are set up with the same code page.

However, a certain dataport is now exporting data into a text file where the 1000-separator <blank> is repaced with the sign 'ÿ'. Also the dataport is comma separated instad of in columns.

I have compared the regional settings of the old and the new server and list separators (';'), digit spacing (<blank> for numbers and '.' for currency), etc are the same. Input languages are set to swedish for both.

The old server is running Win Server 2003 SP1, while the old server is Windows 2000 SP4

Navision is accessed through Citrix Metaframe over VPN.

Any help would be appreciated....
  • Options
    alijartealijarte Member Posts: 30
    Well, polish and east european countries use a a different codepage to map characters.
    When you define a DB you define the codepage of the language to be used. (check http://www.rerecognition.com/htm/country.htm for your country settings) This means that a character code will be interpreted differently if retrieved from different codepaged clients.

Unless you go for UNICODE (supported by Navision?), there's no way to store data from different codepages (i.e. English LATIN1 and Polish Latin2)

hope it helps,
    Ch.
    Ch.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, this is common problem with codepages... no easy solution for that. Navision is not unicode and you will have problems under MS SQL or Native... there is only one way - use only english alphabet in this case...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    will navision 5 support UNICODE?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    lagersjeflagersjef Member Posts: 57
    well, actually in my case, the problem with the 1000 character symbol was solved by changing the dataport. The datatype of the amount field was undefined which defaulted to text. Changing it to integer worked around the code page prolem.

(sorry for not updating the post, but I discovered this just recently)
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    ara3n wrote:
    will navision 5 support UNICODE?

Nobody knows yet... we will see next Christmas... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.