warehouse management with Directed pick and putaway.

NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
Hello
I think a major thing that is missing in warehouse management is the creation of warehouse shipments. For example if lets say you have 100 sales orders released, how do you go about creating warehouse shipments for sales orders that can be shipped, and then create warehouse picks? Why doesn't navision have a warehouse shipment worksheet?
my 2 cents

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Warehouse shipment is created at the time of when the items are being loaded into a truck. So you create a shipment per truck. It's intended to be used to print bill of ladings.
  • NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
    WHAT??

I think you mis understood me.

I wrote I have 100 sales orders. I have no clue what will end up into the truck because I don't know what I can ship.

So again what warehouse shipment should I create?
    my 2 cents
    1. Create a warehouse shipment
    2. Use filters or Get Source Documents to get your 100 sales orders
    3. Create the pick
    4. Register pick
    5. Post shipment
    One warehouse shipment for all the sales order?

That will be a mess. Trying to find the warehouse lines for a pick document that is registered will be a mess.

If a sales order needs to be changed, again, it will be a mess for people to work on the same warehouse shpiment.

Thank you for the info but this solution just sucks. :(
    my 2 cents
    Sorry to dissappoint you, but once the pick is generated, you won't be able to change quantities on the order easily.

Also, becareful of your language when you say the solution "suck". We're all here helping you for free, if you don't like it, pay your consultant to come in and recommend an "non-suck" solution for you. :evil:
    Sorry didn't mean to be rude.

I still think that this is a major hole in Navision.

There is no standard process on how to figure out what you can ship.

I don't know how navision hasn't been doing anything about it.

I know you can make the modification, but such important thing is missing from Navision?
    my 2 cents
    <edit>
    Was gonna say something rude... Forget it...

So...

Navision is designed this way for a logical reason. Pay your consultant to come in and teach you how it works.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    NavStudent wrote:
    Sorry didn't mean to be rude.

I still think that this is a major hole in Navision.

There is no standard process on how to figure out what you can ship.

I don't know how navision hasn't been doing anything about it.

I know you can make the modification, but such important thing is missing from Navision?
    What do you mean? You ship what you order, what is so difficult about that?
  • DarkSideDarkSide Member Posts: 46
    I think you're over simplifying the issue. See it from a broader perspective.

If you're a company (and I'm not saying you are - but they're out there) that has to manage multiple customer lead times, multiple vendor lead times, and multiple product manufacturing lead times. This is complicated right?

So...that's why the warehouse shipment doesn't have this functionality. Order planning and the planning worksheet sort out all of the date requirements of the various aspects of the business. That then determines when (or if) you can ship to meet your customers requirement. You then may have adjust dates accordingly which may include contacting your customer to change their expected date. The warehouse shipment can't call your customer and ask for a shipping extension.

Not too simple is it?

If you're a less complicated business then create your shipments however you want. That's the point of the shipment, structure the work the way you work. Then use the pick worksheet to see if you have all your inventory available.

I guess what I'm saying is, it sure would be nice to have the warehouse shipment figure everything out...but that isn't real life for many companies. Life has gotten too complicated.
    My mommy says I'm special
    Ok fair enough Order planning determines the dates on sales lines, and what you need to purchase. It doesn't show sales orders that can be shipped, only unfulfilled demand. this still does not tell a warehouse guy what sales orders he can ship.
    So he basically has to go through every released sales order. check the sales lines and then create as warehouse shipment. then use warehouse pick worksheet to create the Sales Pick documents.
    my 2 cents
    DenSter wrote:
    What do you mean? You ship what you order, what is so difficult about that?

Not having inventory. Inventory gets in as purchase orders arrive. How would I know I can go and find the sales order that can be shipped yet?

A company could produce goods. How would they find the sales orders that can be shipped?
    my 2 cents
    You skipped my first sentances...read them again, sloooowly. And then if you don't get it, read them again.
    DarkSide wrote:
    I think you're over simplifying the issue. See it from a broader perspective.
    Ok I agree that I was oversimplifying.

So going by your first example company.
    The sales lines are determine by order planning. and the system determines when it can ship the orders. The customer gets the info, right there on theh sales order. How does that help the warehouse guy.
    Let's say 1000 orders are entered every day into the system. What is his workflow on determining where to start? First come first served? So he still has to go through the each sales order create a warehouse shipment for each one and then find out that he can't do a pick. I don't know about you but that's just a waste of time to go through 1000 orders only to find out that 500 could be picked.

Your second scenario. Again 1000 orders every day, the warehouse guy has to look at each sales order and create a warehouse shipment and then find out that he can't do a pick.

The warehouse request table should have List form that displays the status for every warehouse request and whether you can fulfil the request. Very simply idea that is a huge hole for a warehouse guy to process 1000 orders a day.
    my 2 cents
    You're missing the point of how the process flows. If someone has already sorted out the planning and availability issues then the shipment date has been populated. You ship whatever is scheduled to ship that day. Sure, you may have to deal with the occasional headache that something on the order is planned to be produced (or received) the same day but the pick worksheet will tell you if its all available or not. Then, someone will need to communicate with the production manager and say 'hey look I need this stuff by 2pm so I can ship my order'. Or something like that.

In many companies there may be too much information to process to simply put a yes or no you can ship this order on the warehouse request screen.

Not to mention, where would this information stop? Just a yes/no? A date when it can ship? What if your customer allows you to ship backorders - how does this get communicated? What if your customer allows you to backorder only certain items - how does this get communicated? What happens if your inventory is off? What happens if too many people call in sick that day? What happens if you have a light day today and want to start tomorrow or a future day but not all the inventory is available yet - send people home or pick/pack what you can? I could go on for a while.

Like I said, you're being closed minded. If you could think out of the box, and I'm not too sure you can at this point, I think you would understand that for a specific business you could do what you want. But in general you cannot. When you get to specific business issues these are customizations.
    I just found that Lanham has built already this. It's called outbound warehouse request.

It takes warehouse request as base table and does the calculation based on what is in inventory.

Navision should have been as standard navision.

The what if questions could apply to anything.
    In regards to ship backorders, standard navision sales order has a thing called shipping advise. if inventory is not accurate, that could apply to any ERP system.

To a warehouse guy all he cares is if inventory is in the system to ship the sales orders based on inventory.

Lanham saw the big hole and created this addon.
    my 2 cents
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Where do you see this add-on?
    http://www.lanhamassoc.com/products.htm

do you mean ADCS??

I think ADCS is part of the Microsoft Navision solution not a Lanham add-on :-k

It's part of the Supply Chain Management..
    http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/nav/p ... mspx#EIEAG
    Yes it's lanham ADCS. It's an improvement to Navision, which doesn't handle serial no./ "Lot No.".

Standard Navision ADCS btw is pretty useless if you have serial or lot tracked item.

And Yes I don't see it on their website. I looked at their db.

Maybe they should update their website.
    my 2 cents
  • merlynmerlyn Member Posts: 5
    You can also look at Lanham's Outbound Warehouse Request granule. It will give you better visibility as to what is possible to ship, so that you can decide, prioritize, pick and ship accordingly. See the information toward the bottom of the page at http://www.lanhamassoc.com/ADCSWhse.htm.
  • merlynmerlyn Member Posts: 5
    A little bit more information on Lanham's ADCS for the Warehouse. It is an application written on top of NAV's ADCS utility product. It is built inside NAV Warehouse Management. It also requires a dedicated NAS.
  • PerPer Member Posts: 46
    The Outbound Warehouse Request granule do not require a NAS. Only the parts of ADCS that is used with handhelds require that.

The Outbound Warehouse Request require WMS to calculate properly.