Total frustration with business analysis's configurator

PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
I've installed a Windows 2003 R2 server with SQL Server 2005 and SP2. On this same machine I installed a Navision 4 SP3 native server and client, using TCP. I installed NODBC, and want to run configurator.exe from Navision. However, apparently, there are two different versions of the program for SQL 2005.

The first one (version 3.0.0.0) with a size of 252.800 bytes (246 Kbytes) date 10/17/2006 and the Navision 4.0 logo, the initialision, NODBC check, SQL Server 2005 check and Analysis Services 2005 check are all OK. In the next part, it gives a (very general) error when it's finished with "creating SSIS Package (part 2)", but does not start the "Create SQL Server Agent Job". It just fails there, with as last line in the ba.log file saying "Create sequence "Process Cubes"

The second one (also, strange enough, version 3.0.0.0) with a size of 221.184 bytes (217 Kbytes), dated march 14, 2007 and the Microsoft Dynamics Logo was downloaded from partnersource should be used on SQL Server SP2. However, it already failes on the first NODBC Check.

Can anyone give me some pointers what I could check now. I feel i've already tried anything, but to no avail.

Comments

• ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    1) Did you enter the navision server name in table ba databases?

2) Check the windows application log for hopefully more detailed errors?

3) Did you start the configurator from a client or from the server? Afaik it should be started from the server.

Hope this helps
    Thomas
  • PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
    1) The Navision server name is filled with the netbios name of the server. Should be correct, but will change it to localhost.
    2) some 20 seconds before failing, there is a message "Package for MBS Navision" finished successfully". Then, at the time of failure, there is a .NET Runtime 2.0 Error in the application log (eventtype clr20r3, P1 configurator.exe P2 3.0.0.0, p3 450523e4, P4 configurator P5 3.0.0.0 P6 450523e4 P7 7d, P8 5a, P9 system.typeloadexception P10 NIL. I will search google for this one.
    3) the configurator is started from the navisionsoftware installed on the server.
    And we continue on the quest for Business Analytics.

Changing the servername did not change anything.

The error in the applicationlog is a general .net framework error. Don't know if the error makes the program crash, or the crash produces the error.

It seems that the mentioned download (although it states it's voor Navision 4 SP3) is actually for Navision 5.0. The CFront.dll has a version number of 5.0.something.anything, and when I installed ODBC for 5.0, the initial ODBC check continues. However, I do get an error (without message, just an error icon) with the SSISpackages, although the ba.log indicates everything was concluded correctly.

So far, still no working configurator on 4 SP3 or 5.0.
  • joemazjoemaz Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem, i am now onto to the 20th configurator run. Nav 5.0 db and SQL2005, have the job schedule service running. but no progress. I have now tried running on win2k3 server with sp2 and with sql2005 sp2. I am wondering if any tested this with nav 5.0
  • DimosDimos Member Posts: 40
    Hi all,

I think that the problem is due to SQL 2005 Sp2, try to unistall Sql 2005 and reinstall it with Sql 2005 Sp1.

Best Regards.
  • joemazjoemaz Member Posts: 2
    hi all with problems with BA and sql 2k5 sp2, finally been able to get a response from Msoft support, the latest BA setup files are in partnersource
    This has the fix/support for sql2k5 sp2, using the setup from this has solved my problems.

its a shame, the nav 5.0 cd BA setup files are not current, i guess the problem is in the partnersource search (or lack thereof). we could have all saved a lot of time if the partnersource site is structure to help those looking for information. #-o

https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... page=false
    joemaz wrote:
    its a shame, the nav 5.0 cd BA setup files are not current, i guess the problem is in the partnersource search (or lack thereof). we could have all saved a lot of time if the partnersource site is structure to help those looking for information. #-o

I totally agree with you
  • dparvathanenidparvathaneni Member Posts: 10
    Hai,

I am using navision 4.0 sp3 and sqlserver 2005.
    I am able to install BA Basic and BA Advanced sucessfully.
    I am also able to open Business Analytics with Demo Licence.

But if i create new cube in Navision and running configurator ,
    it is giving error "unable to remove the database BA for MBS Navision"

I restarted the sqlserver analysis services ,but still the same error it is coming.

Kindly anyone help me out.

Thanks and Regards,
    Devi.
    Sometimes the ba database cannot be deleted because it's in use by ba server. In this case just stop the service called antserver and delete it manually if needed.

Hope this helps
    Thomas
    Well, I finally did not use ODBC at all. Just create a 4.0 SP3 or 5.0 database on SQL server, install BA and everything works. Seems that there's still something terribly wrong with the ODBC connection. Alas, as Navision seems to move towards SQL more and more, I don't really mind.

btw, the link joemaz named was already in my first post... But I agree that the Partnersource site (and all microsoft sites, for that matter) could be a bit more usable.
  • nono Member Posts: 3
    Can you please explane me, what you mean "did not use ODBC"? How I can disable ODBC usage for BA?
    n/odbc and c/odbc are only used when reading a native database. When using an SQL database, the Navision ODBC is no longer necessary.
  • rakeshrakesh Member Posts: 1
    dear friends i need detail installation guide of business analysis . if any body have please suggest me , or mail me at e.ranjan@yahoo.com
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    This address has a bunch of pdf's - not sure if it contains the one you need but a good reference to have
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en