Business Notification email debug

HamiltonHamilton Member Posts: 29
Hi,

I'm trying to get BN working, and I'm "this" close. However, the actual sending of the email didn't work. One of the steps I've been asked to perform in the "trying to find where it failed" process is to turn off the BusinessNotificationMessageBus Web service. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to do that. So I stopped the Default Web Site instead. Is that acceptable?

cheers,

Comments

• HamiltonHamilton Member Posts: 29
    Hi again,

OK, I've gone through these steps.

1. Turn off the BusinessNotificationMessageBus Web service.
    2. Turn off the NS$BusinessNotificationInstance service.
    3. In the Notification Worksheet window, click Functions, and then click Send to Business Notification.
    4. Verify that folders are generated in the IsolatedStorage folder, and then start the BusinessNotificationMessageBus Web service.

Note: When you start the BusinessNotificationMessageBus Web service, the messages are moved to the messageStore table in the BusinessNotification database.
    5. Verify that the messages are created in the messageStore table, and then start the NS$BusinessNotificationInstance service.
    6. Notice that entries are created in the Business Notification log to show that the messages have been sent. If the e-mail messages are not sent, make sure that the ID that was used to start the service has sufficient permissions on the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server or on the Microsoft Exchange server that you specified during the installation process.

Message flow process in Microsoft Business Notification
    When you click Functions and then click Send to Business Notification in the Notification Worksheet window, messages in the notification worksheet are written to the IsolatedStorage folder on the client computer. The IsolatedStorage folder is typically in the following location together with the additional folders that are automatically generated:
    Drive:\Documents and Settings\Windows User ID\Local Settings\Application Data\IsolatedStorage
    The messages in the automatically generated folders are processed by the BusinessNotificationMessageBus Web service. The BusinessNotificationMessageBus Web service then adds the messages to the messageStore table in the BusinessNotification database.

The NS$BusinessNotificationInstance service collects the messages in the messageStore table. The NS$BusinessNotificationInstance service then adds the messages to the transmissionLog table. This table creates and then sends the e-mail messages. Each sent e-mail message is recorded in the Business Notification log.

The Message Store table and the Notification Log is being updated but still no email. How do I determine the SMTP server designated during the installation?

cheers,
    I found the web.config file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Business Notification\DeploymentServer folder. It had a reference to Smtpserver that was set to "LocalHost". That didn't seem right so I changed it to the SMTP server name (I verified by starting a telnet session). Logging off and on again and sending a new Notification still did not send the mail. I'm going to try stopping and starting some services now and then sending a notifiaction.

cheers,
    I changed the SmtpServer value to the IP address, still no luck. Of course I stopped and started the services after I made these changes. I even sent a telnet email message from the server to ensure it could be done.

I'm all out of ideas. Anybody?
  • vassilisvassilis Member Posts: 11
    have you ever managed to solve this ???
    i still cannot get the BN to send the actual email, everything seems to work ok but i never receive the mail...

any ideas ?
  • SarahkingswellSarahkingswell Member Posts: 11
    I have found this works if you can't send any mail with BN

1) Stop the SMTP Virtual Service in IIS and leave it stopped. You shouldn't need this unless you need to do some clever authentication with your SMTP server.

2) Set the SMTPServer to the correct servername in the web.config file. Don't use IP Addresses use the correct DNS name. Make sure you can do a NSLOOKUP on the DNS name to check it is resolving to an IP correctly.

3) Set the Authentication to FALSE in the web.config file

4) Reboot the server after making changes to the SMTP settings in web.config. Apparently this is a bug and restarting services doesn't do enough to get it working
  • SarahkingswellSarahkingswell Member Posts: 11
    I have found this works if you can't send any mail with BN

1) Stop the SMTP Virtual Service in IIS and leave it stopped. You shouldn't need this unless you need to do some clever authentication with your SMTP server.

2) Set the SMTPServer to the correct servername in the web.config file. Don't use IP Addresses use the correct DNS name. Make sure you can do a NSLOOKUP on the DNS name to check it is resolving to an IP correctly.

3) Set the Authentication to FALSE in the web.config file

4) Reboot the server after making changes to the SMTP settings in web.config. Apparently this is a bug and restarting services doesn't do enough to get it working
  • vassilisvassilis Member Posts: 11
    i used an exchange server and even though i didn't have authentication on my server when i change the entry from FALSE to TRUE on the web.config file all the mails were delivered by just restarting the services.

another weird point with the BN installation ](*,)