Can't run database server as a service

FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
Hi

I have a problem running Navision Database Server as a service (NAV 4.0SP3). Running the server in a command shell works perfectly fine. But then when I've using command attribute installasservice and try to start the service it says:
Could not start the Microsoft Business Solution-Navision Database Server NAVSERVER service on local computer.
Error 1: Incorrect function

I've also tried to reboot the server, but the service won't start.

I have two different Navision server services I would need to be running. I have modified the services file with the recommended lines:
NAVSERVER 2407/tcp
NAVSERVERTEST 2408/tcp

None of the services is able to run.
What can be wrong? :?:

Comments

• Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    What is the size of the cache parameter? It cannot be > 800000.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479

Actually it can :shock: I also thought that the service would not start above 800,000, but read either here or on dynamicsuser.net that it was possible, so with some playing in reg edit and a lot of patience I got the server to start at around 950,000.

But yes in most cases when this error pops up, its most often because Commitcache is on and cache >800,000.

Also less common, but possible issues are:

Database name, check in reg edit if the name is correctly qualified with "s sometimes it puts two double quotes like " " F:\Dynamics NAV\Database01.fdb" " (no space between the quotes.) in this case use reg edit to remove the extra quote.

Permissions, sometimes if you install the service as someone other than the administrator then it will not start. (this is pretty rare, and I have not seen it since 3.10). to fix this you need to uninstall Client and server, then use reg esit to remove any traces left, then reinstall.
    David Singleton
  • FommoFommo Member Posts: 138
    The cache size is only 8000 so I guess that should be fine.

Thanks for the other tips though, I'll try that.
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    I've once had this (or a similar) message when I tried to open a 3.7 database with a 4.0x database server.

Thomas
  • danlindstromdanlindstrom Member Posts: 130
    Does the user that runs the service have permissions to to the files on the server?
    Regards
    Dan Lindström
    NCSD Navision 2.00 since 1999 (Navision Certified Solution Developer)
    MBSP Developer for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009
  • SogSog Member Posts: 1,023
    edited 2011-12-12
    Database name, check in reg edit if the name is correctly qualified with "s sometimes it puts two double quotes like " " F:\Dynamics NAV\Database01.fdb" " (no space between the quotes.) in this case use reg edit to remove the extra quote.

Permissions, sometimes if you install the service as someone other than the administrator then it will not start. (this is pretty rare, and I have not seen it since 3.10). to fix this you need to uninstall Client and server, then use reg esit to remove any traces left, then reinstall.

Thank You. The Regedit fixed my problem today. (update from NAV 4 to NAV 2009)
    |Pressing F1 is so much faster than opening your browser|
    |To-Increase|
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Sog wrote:

Thank You. The Regedit fixed my problem today.

:thumbsup:

BTW what version of Navision?
    David Singleton