Options

Navision 5 and SQL Server 2005 on Windows XP SP2

davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
edited 2007-04-18 in SQL General
I have successfully installed Nav 5, SQL Server2005 on Windows Server 2003. Now I am trying to do the same thing on my laptop running Windows XP SP2.
Nav 5 browses for the server and sees it, but when I try to connect to an existing database or create a new one, I get a message that the database server can not be found.
I am running SQL Server 2005 as a separate instance which I have done successfully on a Windows 2003 Server.
I have the trace flag set and the extended procedures loaded.
Has anyone else experienced this problem on XP or have any solutions or recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    davmac1 wrote:
    I have successfully installed Nav 5, SQL Server2005 on Windows Server 2003. Now I am trying to do the same thing on my laptop running Windows XP SP2.
    Nav 5 browses for the server and sees it, but when I try to connect to an existing database or create a new one, I get a message that the database server can not be found.
    I am running SQL Server 2005 as a separate instance which I have done successfully on a Windows 2003 Server.
    I have the trace flag set and the extended procedures loaded.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem on XP or have any solutions or recommendations?

I have basically this same setup, except that I am not running as a separate instance. But basically it runs fine.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hmm maybe I miss read, not sure.

I have a server installed also on my laptop, is that what you meant? I have not yet tried to connect NAV 50 to SQL through the net work.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    For some reason it doesn't know how to display a named instance of SQL Server 2005. If you type in the correct servername, you should be able to get to it though.
  • Options
    It actually finds the correct server name - do I need to qualify the database name - and if so how?
    I get the same error message if I try to create a new databse thru Navision.
    On my XP machine I have Nav 4.01 installed and am runnning Nav 5 from a folder - which works fine the Navision database.
    On the working server - Nav 5 is installed and the only version of Nav.
  • Options
    The database lookup should list all NAV databases that your user is set up for.
  • Options
    THe database lookup works fine - it gives the error when I try to find the database or create a new database. Maybe NAV does not work will with non-default instances on XP?
  • Options
    No that should not be an issue. I'm on XP, a named instance of SQL Server 2005 Dev edition and NAV 5.0, and it all works fine.