EDI Invoice

Rick11Rick11 Member Posts: 2
I wonder if anyone have a solution in navision for making an EDI invoice-file?

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Rick11 wrote:

There is Lanhams EDI, but that is only supported in the US, and also I would guess you want EDIFACT which you can do with Lanhams, but its a lot of work. More importantly it modifies literally hundreds of objects, so integrating it with a Swedish version would really be our of the question.

The best option would be commerce gateway, take a look here or this EDI Integration thread Just be aware that it can be quite expensive to initially get Commerce Gatway/BizTalk/EDI working.
    David Singleton
  • ta5ta5 Member Posts: 1,164
    If you just need to send a EDI Document you also might consider using a third party edi converter, for example by seeburger (www.seeburger.de).

The converter can use a simple txt file as input, does all the tedious conversions and sends out the EDI Doc. It works also the other direction, of course if you have a lot of EDI Docs you should use something like Commerce Gateway with BizTalk.

Regards
    Thomas
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Or pay a developer to write a process only report according to your trading partner's specification.

Not the best way to go, but just wanted to bring it up as a possible option.
  • merlynmerlyn Member Posts: 5
    Rick11 wrote:
    Lanham's EDI is available in Europe as well as the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia, & New Zealand. In Europe contact Daya Keur at daya@lanhamassoc.com for further details.[/list]
    merlyn wrote:
    Lanham's EDI is available in Europe as well as the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia, & New Zealand. In Europe contact Daya Keur at daya@lanhamassoc.com for further details.[/list]

This is really interesting news. Previously they only supported the US and Canadian Databases, but now that they have released it on all these other databases, it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Do you know which versions it is now integrated with (I assume Swedish since thats the thread here, and logically W1 of course)? Also is Advanced Forecasting and Management also now translated or is it just the eShip/EDI package?

Thanks for this info.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    I wish they would separate Eship and EDI, I bet there would be a LOT of customers for that.
    DenSter wrote:
    I wish they would separate Eship and EDI, I bet there would be a LOT of customers for that.

Yes integration of EDI would be a pretty simple task for most users, but since you are foreced to use eShip its very difficult. But if as marlyn says, eShip is now integrated with all Europen versions, then at least its an option.
    David Singleton
  • merlynmerlyn Member Posts: 5
    merlyn wrote:

This is really interesting news. Previously they only supported the US and Canadian Databases, but now that they have released it on all these other databases, it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Do you know which versions it is now integrated with (I assume Swedish since thats the thread here, and logically W1 of course)? Also is Advanced Forecasting and Management also now translated or is it just the eShip/EDI package?

Thanks for this info.

Lanham has been adding versions as they deliver EDI in various countries. The same goes for all of their products, AFP included.

Also, EDI can be used by itself without E-Ship, although it is one product suite so that the E-Ship tabs show, but if it is not licensed, it does not have to be paid for or used. E-Ship is needed if ASNs (Adv Ship Notices) are required, because that requires itemizing in the packing process, or if UCC compliant labels are required because they are created with E-Ship. If you don't need any of that, then you can just use EDI for importing documents and matching them to a specific NAV document. Simple communications software is needed to provide a mailbox to drop documents going into NAV or pick up exiting documents. Cleo Lexicom is a cost effective solution, and they say they offer their products in Europe as well.
    merlyn wrote:
    Also, EDI can be used by itself without E-Ship, although it is one product suite so that the E-Ship tabs show, but if it is not licensed, it does not have to be paid for or used. ....

Yes we are all aware of that, but unfortunately its like saying that I need a bicycle carrier for my car, but your company sells Caravans that have a bike carrier on the back, but its no problem, since I can buy the caravan for the same price as a bike carrier, so long as I don't go inside the caravan. Of course there is no mention of the problems of parking my car nor the extra fuel used towing the caravan everywhere just so I can take my bike with me.

I have discussed this with Per before, and I am aware of WHY it is like this, I just wish there was an option to get EDI without eShip.

On the same topic, I have a client that is interested in APF, but we wont even consider it if it requires installing eShip objects.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    It is unfortunate that the impact of those objects is being trivialized, because the additional indexes in standard objects alone cause a lot of overhead in SQL Server implementations, even when the E-Ship specific objects are not used.

The thing is... when a customer doesn't need ASN's, they don't need E-Ship, and they don't want to have to pay their solution center to maintain the hundreds of additional Eship objects you 'get for free'.

I just think it would benefit MANY customers (as well as Lanham's bank account :mrgreen:) if there were a version of EDI without the overhead of E-Ship.
  • gumbootsgumboots Member Posts: 23
    edited 2007-06-09
    Rick11 wrote:
    Hi there,

I am sure there are EDI VANs out there that will offer EDI-to-CSV translation service and will only charge you on a per message basis. Even some 3P warehouses are set up to have this EDI capability so their customers don't have to invest thousands in these EDI expensive technologies.

From the technical viewpoint, whatever brand of solutions or integration approach you're using, the following steps must happen in a PO:

1. Send and receive EDIFACT or X12 messages to and from your trading partners.
    2. Translate an EDIFACT/X12 file to a flat file for import into your ERP system (in this case NAV).
    3. Pick and pack line items on EDI orders (scan-packing is a requirement if trading with major retailers in AU).
    4. Export ASNs (csv to EDIFACT or X12) back into the translator.
    5. Send ASNs to your retailer customers via a fee-based VAN or Internet.

Yes, it would be nice to have one tool or plafform that does it all. But the reality is even simple tasks like these are performed by different pieces of technology from different vendors. Some EDI translation tool makers would make you pay a few hundred bucks for a map specific to your ERP application, which they may have already developed for other customers using mainstream accounting packages in the past.

E-Ship as far as I understand is a NAV-based solution that eliminates the need for a standalone translation tool (step #2 and #4), which normally could set you back a few grands. Sending and receiving (step #1 and #5) are done within the same tool. Step #3 may be done in some warehouse management tool or ERP package w/ integrated warehouse management features. And don't forget you need to pay the VAN for the EDI mailbox to deliver these messages.

In our case, because we are using a 3rd party warehouse that already has EDI capability (they are receiving EDI orders on our behalf and send us EDI orders in CSV format by e-mail), we pay only AUD150.00 quarterly to this 3rd party warehouse and get all the CSV files we want for importing into NAV. It only took me a few hours to write up a dataport for that.

I understand if you're a MBS developer you may not get to question the integration approach because consulting hours mean income to your employer. However, bear in mind there is always a cheaper way of doing the same thing.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Scott
    DenSter wrote:
    ...The thing is... when a customer doesn't need ASN's, they don't need E-Ship, ....

Personally I don;t even see ASN as a major issue. All you need for an ASN is a table that cross links a Sales line to a Package line. They could easily separate that one little piece of functionality to allow ASNs on EDI without eShip.

The real issue is their internal cost to maintain two separate systems.
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Why don't you guys write your own addon for EDI without E-Ship? There seems to be a market for it. If you write it, I'm sure it'll be a hit.

I second the vote on the EDI and E-Ship. Seems an aweful lot of overhead for what most company needs.
  • gumbootsgumboots Member Posts: 23
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Why don't you guys write your own addon for EDI without E-Ship? There seems to be a market for it. If you write it, I'm sure it'll be a hit.

I second the vote on the EDI and E-Ship. Seems an aweful lot of overhead for what most company needs.

Alex, I seriously thought about that and spent months researching already. Have already got all the EDI mapping guidelines from all AU major retailers. However, the task is quite daunting.
  • PerPer Member Posts: 46
    The Lanham EDI and E-Ship is integrated because several option like the ASN require a tight integration. Ship-for Code to handle anything with Retail. Kanban information for Automotive EDI. Removing E-Ship would make fewer changed objects but not really anything that changes the hard (offen changed) objects that are modified.

For the part of using extra performance in SQL is every index added to base objects marked with a Key Group. If E-Ship in not used disable the SE-ESHIP (EDI is marked with SE-EDI). The total number of objects modified is precise 120 base objects in W1 5.00, Not much for an addon that support sending, receiving X12 and EDIFACT documents for Sales or Purchase documents. With a very hard cutting of features would only 40 objects be required. The list is below.

The solution is not intended for internal integration where a Biztalk solution sometimes deliver better integration, but for sure it is capable of doing it. But in most cases would it be like shooting bird with a cannon.

The idea about hte solution is also to allow the customer to map new EDI documents without big coding projects. This will make it very efficient adding partner later or upgrading between versions of EDI documents.

Another thing is is that Lanham will integrate all their addons with most versions of Navision (since 2.01 or 3.60/3.70.A for extended warehouse support) for a limited fixed fee including future upgrades for a fixed fee too.

Here is the list of essential objects to modify for a EDI solution not supporting feature combined with E-Ship (only 850 (Purchase Order), 810 (Invoice), 997 (functional Ackknowledgement) with simple partners would be fully supported integrated with Navision without E-Ship).

Object Type Object Number Object Name
    Table 14 Location
    Table 18 Customer
    Table 36 Sales Header
    Table 37 Sales Line
    Table 38 Purchase Header
    Table 39 Purchase Line
    Table 110 Sales Shipment Header
    Table 111 Sales Shipment Line
    Table 112 Sales Invoice Header
    Table 113 Sales Invoice Line
    Table 114 Sales Cr.Memo Header