[closed] "exploding" BOM on Pick ticket?

jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
Hi all,

Users here have asked me if it is possible to do the following (without a TON of programming or purchasing of new granules):

*user enters finished good item number (D) on sales line. No inventory of this exists, but inventrory does exist for its component pieces (A, B, and C).
*When the order is processed in the warehouse, a pick gets created. here, the users would want the item on the sales order (D) to explode to its component pieces, so they can go get piece A, B, and C respectively.
*They do not want to physically explode the BOM on the sales order because we want to sell (and track) the finished good (D). by exploding here, the sale is recorded at the component level (A,B, and C).

My gut reaction is that this is not possible without some sort of production granule or a ton of custom programming. I say custom because we wouldn't want EVERY item to explode on the pick and for those that do, we would only want to explode when there were enough of all components to satisfy a finished good.

these are modular display pieces - a base, a back, shelves, signage, etc. The various parts can be put together in a number of different ways to build a different finished good. We are currently running BOM journals periodically to "make" finished stock but this is seen as clumsy and causes lost sales when someone forgets to build the finished display in time and it gets left off of a pick/shipment because no stock exists.

Basically, is it 'easy' to sell the item as the finished good but process the pick using the components?
kind of fell into this...

Comments

• Saint-SageSaint-Sage Member Posts: 92
    If what I understand from your post is correct, you are basically asking if you can key in a master item on the sales order, and then it prints as a pick/assemble ticket at your manufacturing location. The employee will then pick the component items and assemble them in a make-to-order fashion.

In this case, your pick ticket should just be a report, in which case it would be very easy for a developer to at the component items for a master item and print those on the pick ticket.

No one loves you like the one who created you...
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    i think I follow your suggestion, but still face fundamental problems:

If insufficient qty is available of the good to be sold, no warehouse activity line is created - that item is absent from the pick.

If i can get a warehouse activity line, i have a feeling i could figure out the manipulation of the report to create picks on the components. i say this because i would have a valid starting point to bounce off from and get the pieces. However, without that activity line, I cannot easily add the components (sorted by bin along with the rest of the pick). unfortunately, to get the warehouse activity line, i have to have stock available --> which leads me right back to posting BOM journals to assemble virtual inventory of the display.

the second problem would be the impact to inventory of the component piece. the warehouse would take pieces from the component to sell as the finished, but no inventory adjustment would occur. the finished good would be the item shipped (and thus removed from inventory). I would then assume I need to automate some sort of BOM journal in here upon registering the pick. This gets me back to the custom coding issue.

maybe i have misunderstood you and your solution is much easier than this?

thank you all in advance for any other suggestions!
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Some of your problem involves custom development.
    But in Location Card there is the option Always Create a Pick Line. That options allows the pick order to be created, even there isn’t enough qty.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    thanks.

i tried that option, but it did not work - we don't have the bins module so i don't think we can use this feature.
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Your problem must be solved with custom development. :(
    Some part of your problem can be solved just with reporting changing.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • nikeman77nikeman77 Member Posts: 517
    Hi nunomaia,

Will the pick lines 'auto explode' sub items if I setup the main item in the BOM Components using Item Card> Item> BOM Assembly List?

Similar to jversusj scenario, I would like sales, delivery order, invoice order to display only main item but for warehouse guys,
    we Must show this details of sub items to them.

Secondly, will it be possible at sales order when I placed order for the main item, NAvision will auto check inventory for this sub item?