Finalizing the customization in one database

vyankuvyanku Member Posts: 791
Hi,

If there are three persons working on customization .
When Customization is done every person should take there customised FOB and import it into one fresh database.
But if two of them are worked on same table say vendor table.
When they import FOB in fresh database system will ask for replace,skip,etc.
If we replace then customisation done by 1st person is replaced by another person.
What should we have to do to import all FOBs in one fresh database without any error or replacement??

Comments

• nrapendranrapendra Member Posts: 208
    use merze existing option instead of replace
    Nrapendra Singh
    (Sr. Tech. Consultant)
    Dataman Computer Systems (P) Ltd.
    web :www.datamannet.com
    mail :nrapendra@datamannet.com
  • andreofandreof Member Posts: 133
    you should always merge the objects manualy, using some kind of text comparison tool, like araxis for example.
    Andre Fidalgo
    My world: Dynamics NAV,SQL and .NET

CEO at Solving Dynamics
    http://www.solvingdynamics.com
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    nrapendra wrote:
    use merze existing option instead of replace
    (almost) NEVER use merge!
    Use merge only if you need to merge tables with fields from 2 add on's.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• vyankuvyanku Member Posts: 791
    Then What should I do?
    If we replace previous table or codeunit it will affect on the previous data.
    Any body have faced this type of problem??
  • lubostlubost Member Posts: 623
    We used Merge existing and Merge new and woked fine. You only must know if there are new fields or new code.

But only safe way is working on the same database and finally we used a special table, in which each developer blocked needed object during change process.
    and finally we used a special table, in which each developer blocked needed object during change process.

Will u please explain it??
  • lubostlubost Member Posts: 623
    It is only simple table
    Obejct Type - same as in Object Table
    Object No. - Integer with relation to Object table
    Date
    User Code - same as in User Setup table

Developers add blocked object to table before making changes and after they finish changes only delete this record.
  • grigri Member Posts: 87
    vyanku wrote:
    of course
    it's a common issue when you have more than one developer working on the same project.
    navision is not very good in helping you overcome this problem, so you should create and enforce a very strict developing methodology.
    one part of this methodology could be developing in the same database, but this is surely not enough. you may consider assigning a senior developer in charge with allocating developments to the rest of the team in such a way that the need to work on the same objects is minimized. also, this senior should be the only one importing the objects in the customer's database, to avoid conflicts and the never ending questions about "where did my code go? i wrote it with my own hands, but now is not there anymore"
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    vyanku wrote:
    We all have, this is the worst problem in NAV development. You will have to manually merge the objects. Personally I like Beyond Compare.
  • MbadMbad Member Posts: 344
    What gri writes is correct and also the way it is described in the NAV docs afaik.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    I suggest to rethink the development process. NAV is so easy to develop that one developers per project, even major ones should be enough because it takes less time for the developer to make a change than the customer to specify the change + test it when it's done.

I think if you need multiple developers per project that means you are not doing iterative development - showing minor changes at least twice per week to the customer - but rather doing large chunks of change without immediate customer feedback. And that's dangerous anyway...

Otherwise the options are manual merging or checking in and out exported text objects into a CVS or SVN or maybe Visual SourceSafe if you insist on MS products but all of them is a pain...
  • selece28selece28 Member Posts: 316
    Yes i just meet the same problems.
    Comparing Table is easy, I can use UltraEdit to compare all the codes. Then compare the fields manually.
    But how about Forms? So difficult because in each object we can add C/AL code in it.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
    Steven
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Just do a lot of them and at some point it will start to make sense. I've localized a number of vertical products in many versions, and I know exactly what's going on in text compare mode.