Version Control with Navision

foolosofofoolosofo Member Posts: 73
Hello!

I'm a new Navision Developer and I'm interesting in knowing the different tools for version control in Navision.

What kind of tool or protocol are you using?

I used to work with Microsoft Source Safe but I think it's not the correct Application in this case. I need a version control application that allows me to manage the changes between a group of developers.

Thank you for your answers!

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    The only tool that realy works, with all developers in one database is QPM.

Search the forum or contact Jan Boes at www.qurius..nl
  • FishermanFisherman Member Posts: 456
    Our version control is more process centered.

I'm the project leader on our implementation team. Only one person on my team is allowed to import modifications (unless he's not here, and then I do it). All other developers have local copies which they are to update prior to starting any code change.

With a code change, they are required to report any objects that are changing, the new version number, and the versions of any objects that the changed object is using. We verify that they're working with the correct version, export the existing objects, import the change to a test system, and test.

All of that goes into an Excel document.

It's primitive, but it works. Fortunately, we're a pretty small IT shop - this wouldn't work well (without automation) if you had a lot of developers (more than 5, has been our experience).
  • ovicashovicash Member Posts: 141
    edited 2007-02-09
    As far as I know Celenia has a product like that. It was one of the a prices of the the "Download of the year".

On their site you'll find a smal video about how the application works.
    ovidiu

Best Regards
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Most NAV development projects can be managed with a good process. The vital ingredient there is that all developers follow the rules all the time. You don't really need a complete version control tool unless you have a team of developers, say 5 or more. Anything smaller and I would recommend using a good process.
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    The only tool that realy works, with all developers in one database is QPM.
    You don't say it because you have written this tool? ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    No, that is not the reason. :oops:

Yes, I have invented and written the tool, but hate using it because it forces you to work in a structured way, which conflicts with my creative character. :mrgreen:

And I have not yet seen a simmilar tool. I did look at the celinia stuff but this is (another) multi database solution.

One of the easy things that QPM offers you is to have one database, so that when a consultant tests and finds a bug, you don;t have to simulate in another database.
  • foolosofofoolosofo Member Posts: 73
    Thanks to all, I've seen Celenius tool and it's very interesting. I think it's a good application for our requirements.
  • lagersjeflagersjef Member Posts: 57
    To brummel:
    And I have not yet seen a simmilar tool. I did look at the celinia stuff but this is (another) multi database solution.

One of the easy things that QPM offers you is to have one database, so that when a consultant tests and finds a bug, you don;t have to simulate in another database.

What do mean by mutlidatabase solution?

Do you have to have one customer database for coding (source control) and one for testing?

If that is the case, why can you not test in the coding database? Does the checkout of an object cause the object to be locked for use by other people doing black box (interface) testing?