Options

Defragging the server

JamieBrownJamieBrown Member Posts: 107
Hi guys,

Our Navision (native) database server is extremely fragmented. Is there any steps I should take prior to running the defrag?

i.e. stopping the Database service, stopping DD or NAS?

In case it matters, we're runnign a raid 1+0 environment.

Many thanks in advance.
Jamie

Comments

• Options
    matteo_montanarimatteo_montanari Member Posts: 189
    JamieBrown wrote:
    Hi guys,

Our Navision (native) database server is extremely fragmented. Is there any steps I should take prior to running the defrag?

i.e. stopping the Database service, stopping DD or NAS?

In case it matters, we're runnign a raid 1+0 environment.

Jamie

Make a backup :D eheh
    Stop All Navision Services if you can do it.

Matteo
    Reno Sistemi Navision Developer
  • Options
    AKAK Member Posts: 226
    Hi,

I wonder how the disks where the db is located can become fragmented? I hope you are not using the same disks for fileserver purposes.

But if you have to defrag the disks, i strongly recommend to create a backup with the Navision client, stop the server and move the db files to other disks.
    After defragmentation has ended move the db files back to their original disks.

Alex
  • Options
    JamieBrownJamieBrown Member Posts: 107
    AK,

Apart from BAS (html files) and backup *.fbk files the only other file on the logical drive is the fdb. (We've recently moved the path of the fbk files to a N.A.S)

The drive is 97% Fragmented! (I've never seen anything like it!)

If I try and defragment the drive now (using the standard Windows 2003 Server util) it errors, saying unable to complete. (All services were stopped).

Is this because we hadn't moved the fdb to another location?

Does anyone actually know 100% that a 1+0 raid array can be defragmented? - I'll google it....

thanks
    Jamie
  • Options
    KappeKappe Member Posts: 64
    Hi Jamie

If you want, you can try the server defrag tool from http://www.oo-software.com.
    I have made very good experiences with this tool and when I remeber correct can you get a working trial.

Regarding the Windows Defrag tool - it seems that there is still a service running which access or which try to access the drive with the database.

Regards
    Kappe

Kappe