Options

sql optimization webcast second part

NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
edited 2007-03-04 in SQL Performance
Ok saw the part.
Most of the topics have been discussed in here. So it was a good refersher. One thing that was mentioned in there was the tempbd purpose and that there isn't realy a good reason to put it on separate disk of raid1. That's because navision isn't creating any complex queries such as inner outer joines.
So my question is then

When you disable sift maintance on sql. Navision sums the actual table. Is this done in tempdb? If yes, would it make sense to have tempdb on separate disk?

My second question is

Is there any performance issues having mulitple test companies in production, even if they are used very seldom.
my 2 cents

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    SIFT buckets are maintained on SQL Server in SIFT tables, one table for each NAV key that has sumindexfields. That's where the funky numbered tables come from. You find one that has tablename Cronus$32$1, that means it is a SIFT table for table number 32 in the Cronus company.

Take a look at the fields inside those tables (DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!). The 'f' fields are the fields included in the key, the 's' fields are the sumindexfields.

The 'buckets' are the SIFT levels that are maintained, which you can see when you open the table design in NAV and look at the key properties of a key that has sumindexfields.

Second question: Each NAV company has its own set of physical tables. Of course each additional database sucks system resources, but that is of course limited to the usage of that database. Do monitor it thoug, and make sure though that you don't interfere with the production system.
  • Options
    AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    [Topic moved from Navision to SQL Performance forum]
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    There are SQL statements that you can use to measure the cost of every database file.

To be honest I do not know what they are. I always use the SQL Perform tools that have a built in function for this. :oops:

While analysing performance issues (which I do a lot) I can quickly see if other databases cause problems or if databasefiles are put on wrong disks.