Reservation & tracking - orphan entries

Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
Once upon a time a customer using 3.6 had weird error messages regarding reservations and item tracking and it turned out the problem is that sometimes when you ship stock some "orphan" entries remain there. So I've written a batch job that deletes all entries of reservation and tracking type which either don't have a pair - another entry with the same number and the field Positive being different - or those that relate to nonexisting documents or journals. I think most of the cases it's a consumption journal - you post it but the reservation or order tracking stays there. As of now, we have to run this deleter batch job even at customers using versions as recent as 4.0 SP2 almost on a daily base. So it seems this problem hasn't been fixed in the last 3 years.

I wonder why don't I see much discussion about this problem here as if you don't develop a workaround like I did it makes using Navision almost impossible for a distribution or manufacturing company. So I wonder whether there is a more general solution to it or everybody was doing the same thing as me? Or is it fixed in SP3 and everybody upgraded?

Also - what do you think, should I remove Surplus entries relating to nonexisting documents as well? How does Navision calculate what's available from a given Lot - adding up the surplus entries or just looking at Item Ledger Entries? OK I could check this out but I have some other work to do and maybe some of you already investigated it, this is why I ask it.

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Hello Miklos Hollender
    Yes I've been running with these errors as well. Yes it still occurring in SP3.
    Had to fix one last week. Customer is using Manufacturing with warehouse management, and they had one sided reservation entries. Another problem I ran as well was they could not pick lot tracked Items.

I have not spent the time to write a comprehensive report that would clean up all the reservation entries. As far as one sided reservation entries. I do not delete them but rather change the entry type to surplus, if it's inbound, or prospect if it outbound.
    There is no documentation on this table. ZERO. One thing I don't like and this causes a lot of these issues is MRP. When MRP is run it creates all these tracking entries in these table matching all the pairs. And what happens is the pair are broken and you have left with one sided reservation entry.
    One thing they've made some changes to 5.0 with the one sided issue.
    Version 5.0 implements late binding, this allows the program to handle the interaction of nonspecific
    and specific reservations.
    The program actually still reserves against specific entries, but then uses a reshuffling mechanism
    whenever there is specific demand for the lot or serial number in the nonspecific reservation. This can
    be the case when you post a demand transaction (such as a sales order, consumption journal, or
    transfer order) for the lot or serial number, or when you try to specifically reserve the lot or serial
    number. The program reshuffles the reservations to make the lot or serial number available to the
    demand or the specific reservation, thereby placing a different lot or serial number in the nonspecific
    reservation. If there is not sufficient quantity in inventory, the program reshuffles as much as possible,
    and you will receive an availability error if there is still insufficient quantity at the time of posting.

I don't know if this will now cause even more problems since a lot more entries will be affected.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Btw I don't think they will ever fix all the holes with item tracking/ reservation entry table. What I've been doing to fix is this. First time the customer get's the error, fix the data manually, through trial and error.
    I let the customer know that issue has been solved, and that I'll be waiting for a Second time till this error occurs, then I look at the code and write code to fix the record.
    Simply deleting orphaned entries doesn't always solve the problem. I've see issues, where tracking entries create big mess for serialized items, and lot. You get errors, such serial no, "Lot No." required.
    I wish Navision would release a document that would explain what entries are made and how does the records should look like. Just like costing white paper.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
    I think I'm struggling with the similar problem.

I want to do a negative adjustment on an item. Chose the appropriate lot no., variant and location.
    I try to post the ItemJnlLine, then I receive the error that the Reservation Entry xxxx Positive=No does not exist.

After debugging I found:
    1. The new ItemLedgEntry is created (not commited to DB),
    2. An Item Application Entry is created to indicate which ILE No. applies to which ILE No.,
    3. It finds the reservation entries for the Old ILE (there are several having the Source Ref No. = Old ILE No., though I can't find out why, and all of them are positive),
    4. When it get's to the code in CU - 99000845 - DeleteReservEntries2(),
     FOR ReleaseInventory := FALSE TO TRUE DO BEGIN // Release non-inventory reservations in first cycle
      REPEAT
       CalcReservEntry4.GET(ReservEntry."Entry No.",NOT ReservEntry.Positive); // Find related entry

it returns the error at the "GET" because there are no ReservEntry with the same Entry No. and positive=No

Can those reservation entries just be deleted? Or what would be the effect of changing the code to:
    IF CalcReservEntry4.GET(ReservEntry."Entry No.",NOT ReservEntry.Positive) THEN ...

Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
  • darshanmdarshanm Member Posts: 280
    Hi!

I have been facing the similar problem. We have pushed this problem
    with Microsoft. First of all they we were not ready to accept this problem.
    But we shown this problem to them.they have sent us one codeunit
    to resolve the problem. Also they have sent us one report which monitors the problemetic entries.

Kindly post this issue with Microsoft
    Darshan Mungekar
    Senior Consultan
  • eYeeYe Member Posts: 168
    Darshanm, is it possible for you to send me those objects so that I could have a look at them please? Thanks.
    Kind Regards,
    Ewald Venter
  • Jay2007Jay2007 Member Posts: 50
    Hi there,

I'm having terrible trouble with the Reservation Entries table on a new site currently and am having to remotely delete entries manually to allow them to ship orders. REALLY don't like having to do this !!

Does anybody know if there is a Hotfix available for this issue or a tool that can be downloaded to analyse the table for inconsistencies??

The site is a Navision 5.0 site.

Jay
  • daborgdaborg Member Posts: 54
    darshanm wrote:
    Hi!

I have been facing the similar problem. We have pushed this problem
    with Microsoft. First of all they we were not ready to accept this problem.
    But we shown this problem to them.they have sent us one codeunit
    to resolve the problem. Also they have sent us one report which monitors the problemetic entries.

Kindly post this issue with Microsoft

Microsoft is really giving me the run around on this one. Can you provide me with the codeunit/report that you received from them!? It would be much appreciated.... I have a customer who is getting this issue every few days and it shuts down their shipping process completely.