Windows Login Problem for the NAS

ajaybabuChajaybabuCh Member Posts: 208
Hi

We have two systems TEST1 AND TEST2 under TEST domain.

I installed NAS on TEST1 pointing to TEST2.

TEST2 has Navision SQL database.

As NAS requires windows login with administrator previlaiges,

I am not clear about the issue that IS THAT the windows login

who has admin previlaiges to TEST2. OR TO THE TOAL DOMAIN. OR TO

THE BOTH TEST1 AND TEST2.
Ajay

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    -NAS requires a login that allows it to start the nassql.exe on the server.
    -NAS also requires a login that allows it to connect to the SQL-server.
    -those 2 logins must be the same (you can't define 2 logins for the same NAS)
    So if the NAS and the SQL-server run on the same machine, you can use an admin account on the local server. Otherwise you need a domain admin.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) The account must have enough privileges in the NAV DB.
    2) The account must be able to run as service account

that's all. You do not need to have admin privileges. Other issue is, on which server you are able to use which account. For example you cannot use TEST2\MyAccount on TEST1 server (it is local account for another server) and adding TEST1\MyAccount into NAV db on TEST2 server ... :-)

Solution:

1) You can use domain account without problems. You just needs to add this account into NAV and give SUPER permissions (or other permissions) to this account.
    2) You can open the DB through client on TEST1 server, add the TEST1\MyAccount into NAV and use it on the NAS service on the TEST1 NAS.

Domain policy can require additional settings.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • JokerJoker Member Posts: 6
    Hi kine,
    we have a problem with using NAS without domain.
    It is the same situation as described before. We have Test1 (NAS) and Test2 (Navision DB, Native)

I have created a windows account for NAS on Test1 and added him as windows account in Navision (from Test1).
    And I also added the user on Test2 as windows account with same name and password.
    But now if I want to start the NAS an error appears that the username or password is wrong.

Could you help me?
    Try to add the account from Test2 into the NAV too... (to have both accounts with same name and password but different "domain" in NAV).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    It's the same password on both machines?
    It's realy the same login name on both machines?

It's possible for the NAS client to connect to the Database Server or is the Port blocked by the local firewall?

Can you connect from NAS Server with a local client to the Database on Database Server using the windows login or a database login?

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I have added the user from clients on both machines.

I can only login from NAS server with database login not with windows login.
    I am afraid that it is why Active Directory is required for NAS...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    How do I have to add the username to Navision. I could only insert Test1/username on Test1 and Test2/username on Test2

If I open the client from Test1, the username Test2/username aren't displayed correctly but as a long number. Is that ok?

Could this be because of a firewall? But the database login works...
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Enter the windows login in NAv as

\Windows user <- os it's the local Windows user account

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    Joker wrote:
    How do I have to add the username to Navision. I could only insert Test1/username on Test1 and Test2/username on Test2

If I open the client from Test1, the username Test2/username aren't displayed correctly but as a long number. Is that ok?

Could this be because of a firewall? But the database login works...

This is correct, because the local system cannot transalte the SID (long number) to the name on another machine, because these two systems are separate and are not connected. It is what AD (domain) can do - define users which are universal regardless which PC you login...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Enter the windows login in NAv as

\Windows user <- os it's the local Windows user account

Many thanks for your help, but I cannot enter it like this. The name is automatically changed to Test1\Windows user.

What other requirements have to be implemented? Do I have to set up a special workgroup or something like that?
    :cry:
    You are still solving something, which is there because you are using system in a way, which is not fullfilling system requirements. Try to think about using Active Directory (domain). E.g. some virtual PC with domain controler to make "small" domain for these two servers.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    You are totally right, but it is not my decision to use active directory - unfortunately.

We try it with an other database server and it works perfectly, but we don't know the differences between them...

- same OS
    - same workgroup...what else could it be?
    difference can be, that in test scenario, the NAS is on same server as DB Server. In your scenario, the NAS is on different machine... :?:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Basically if you're going to use NAS without Active Directory it all has to run on the same machine (whether its SQL or Native). It's as simple as that (for all the technical reasons described here).

So if you aren't allowed to use Active Directory in your environment then it means you have to insall NAS on the database server. This is because NAS does not support database logins.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com