Options

Is there a solution for Manufacturing Rework

pebryantpebryant Member Posts: 14
Hi,

I apologise up front because this is not really "rework" as such (just what the client calls it).

I need to take battery packs out of stock in order to 'refresh' the battery itself. I also want to make sure that ...

a) The item is shown as being unavailable for the duration of the "rework" job (it is serial number controlled)

b) I want to make use of standard inventory pick functionality so I can create an audit trail and use pick documentation etc.

In the past, this has been done by creating a production order and including the parent item as a component of itself (on the production order). Naturally, while this is great because the item is shown as being unavailable (and yet is being 'built') and you can use all the standard Pick functions and documents ... it will totally screw up your inventory costing.

I need to find a workable solution to this, ASAP.

Any and all ideas welcome ...

Regards,

Pete.

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You could create transfer orders. Move them from Location A to B. Or from A to A, but have to make modification.

I didn't know using component as the same item with same serial no screws up costing. In what way?

I wish Navision builds some kind of "on Hold", QA/QC, Unavailable inventory.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Hi Rashed,

We are using the Tectura "Life Science" Add-on which allows for availability by lot/serial status, but what I need goes a few steps further.

On the costing front, as far as I'm aware, including a Parent as a Component in it's own build will cause the cost adjustment routines to loop (at worst) or throw out incorrect values (at best).

That's why I'm trying to find another way to do it (without lots of code changes).

Regards,

Pete.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You could use a different location as unavailable location, and move the inventory.

You could create a second item with same serial no.
    Item A, originial Item
    Item B, new item.

To do rework, you consume A and create B, with same serial no.
    Once the work is done, you consume B and Create A with same serial no.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Hi Rashed,

Yes, I have considered all of these options but given that I need to do this on a regular basis, I need to find the most 'elegant' solution possible, from a user viewpoint.

Regards,

Pete.
  • Options
    Just thought I would post this to advise that we have found a solution. Because we are using Variant Codes, we are simply going to add a suffix to the "current" variant code, when the service job is done. This will solve the problem of Navision using 'Item A' to make 'Item A' because thanks to the suffix, it will actually be a different item we will be 'making'. Additionally, we get some benefits by being able to see how many times the particular item has been serviced, simply by looking at the variant code.