Options

SQL ,Stored Procedures and DataProviders in C/AL?

gulamdastagirgulamdastagir Member Posts: 411
edited 2007-06-02 in SQL General
hi

ADO.NET

1.You use a Connection Object to Connect to a DATA PROVIDER(ODBC/ORACLE/OLEDB/SQLSERVER) at Runtime.

2.You use a Command and DATAADAPTER /DATAREADER object to Run your SQL and Stored Procedures

3.You use the Datasets which give the disconnected functionality to ADO.NET

C/AL

eg. OnAfterGetRecord(): Item.GET("Primary key");

My question is C/AL where is the database provider,Stored Procedures and most importantly where is the SQL???
](*,)
Regards,

GD

Comments

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    C/AL in origin has it's own Database. Now it is possible to use a SQL-DB but the code is (almost) the same for a Navision-DB and a SQL-DB.
    So all the SQL statements are generated by the C/AL.
    So no Database provider, no stored procedure, no SQL. Only C/AL. All the DB-calls are written in C/AL. No need to open the DB, because this is done automatically when logging into Navision.
    It is possible to connect to another DB, but this is done using ADO written with C/AL statements. Search the forum for some examples.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    C/AL runs inside the database, so you don't need to connect to it. It does not use SPs, although internal NAV communication does seem to use them. I would advise not to touch those SPs though, or run the risk of corrupting the database.
  • Options
    spycraftspycraft Member Posts: 66
    Assuming i have built my own stored procedures, is there a possibility to execute the stored procedures using C/AL and also pass values into them?
  • Options
    spycraftspycraft Member Posts: 66
    my question has been asnwered in the following topic:

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... +procedure
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL General forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!