olympic cities in NAV

PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
edited 2006-11-28 in General Chat
maybe somebody noticed before but,
have you noticed that in Cronus Demo DB, there are Items that represents Olympic cities? even ther id's are adequate year of games.

1972-W SAPPORO
1976-W INNSBRUCK
1980-S MOSKVA
1984-W SARAJEVO
1988-S SEOUL
1988-W CALGARY

W as Winter
S as Summer

I must confess that I noticed this only 'cause of my hometown (Sarajevo).

Comments

• Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Yep this was pointed out to me in my first Navision training, which then led to a discussion about how people use different things for testing. We thought it was hilarious to use coworkers names when I was testing for a customer that ran a cemetary. :mrgreen:
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Wow, I didn't recognize. I love such easter eggs and tend to create such myself when I create a testing database for clients. Such as calling Items that are doors as "Aldous" and "Huxley" (see: The Doors of Perception) :)
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I wouldn't say that such values are easter eggs though
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Wow... Now we have another option as our bonus points when we deliver our training session to the end users. \:D/
  • Captain_DX4Captain_DX4 Member Posts: 230
    DenSter wrote:
    I wouldn't say that such values are easter eggs though

Dunno. Would easter eggs be specifically restricted to "programming" bonuses? I think this could qualify. *shrug*
    Kristopher Webb
    Microsoft Dynamics NAV Developer
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    The development of the Cronus demo was taken very seriously by PC&C. The demo in the DOS version was terrible, and most countries eventually just went out and created their own country specific demos.

Even the name Cronus came after a lot of research. And no its nothing to do with Greek gods, it actually came out of research done by Kodak, when trying to find a company name that could be easily pronounced in most languages.

Then there was the big issue of the parting with IBM, and the move from OS/2 to Windows 95. Some how that left the Blue issue. (I am sure most people have realized that any items with the word "Blue" in them have a picture). But we never found out if this was a left over from the IBM connection, or a stab at them.

Of course Cronus as we know, even though a lot of work went into its initial design, it has not stood the test of time, and I really think its time we got Adventure works in Navision to sort of catch up to the times.

As Denster says, in days gone by, they used to tell us all this stuff, and it was always fun to know all the little silly secrets, (like Jaws and Hook), but now time is too short, and we just need to get the system installed.
    David Singleton