Problems with users on SQL 2005

RamonRamon Member Posts: 6
I have a client working on NAV 4.02 . They are working with SQL 2005 and are using SQL Server authentication.

This is the problem: when they try to add a new user in NAV (through Tools==>Security==Database logins), they get the followinging error message:

"The MBS- NAV Server and SQL Server security systems have not been synchronized succesfully. The SQL Server login "ARNOLD" does not exist on the SERVERNAME server"

The funny thing is: the user "arnold" does exist in SQL. Arnold can log in to NAV and have a party :mrgreen: , without any problems. If you delete Arnold from the listy of database logins in NAV, the next user (in alphabettical order) e.g. "Betty" will raise the same error. As said before, all user can log in to NAV without any problems.

Because of this, it is not possible to add users at the moment, which is quite a problem as this company is a start up with new people...

Does anyone have an idea?

Comments

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    Did you install the hotfix 3 on SP2? This hotfix is for SQL2005.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kamalbkamalb Member Posts: 8
    you have to create all navision users into SQL again.

and if they already exist, u have to assign roles/persmission to them insiude SQL
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    The user creating new users and running synchronization must have enough rights on the MS SQL 2005 (db_owner, server admin or something like that). This is connected to security changes between MS SQL 2000 and 2005.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    They have to be server admin. I ran into the issue a few days ago. the user was db-owner of the database, but was still running into issues with synchronizing the users. It would error out that the user blah does not exists. after giving the person sa permission, synchronization went through.
    This was on sql 2005. nav 4.0 sp3.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The user would need to be a member of the SQL SecurityAdmin role. This role grants slightly less access than SA. The user in this role cannot create new databases and some other server level activities.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    ara3n wrote:
    They have to be server admin. I ran into the issue a few days ago. the user was db-owner of the database, but was still running into issues with synchronizing the users. It would error out that the user blah does not exists. after giving the person sa permission, synchronization went through.
    This was on sql 2005. nav 4.0 sp3.

Yes, the db_owner is not enough to create new users and see all existing users in master DB...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • TeresaTeresa Member Posts: 1
    Check out the difference between Standard Security and Enhanced Security. This may help you out.
  • darrenw80darrenw80 Member Posts: 1
    I know this is an old thread but it helped me out. I too was all of sudden getting errors saying that users didn't exist in SQL when they really did. I tried deleting and recreating SQL users but nothing worked. This had always worked in the past. I don't know if it was a Navision update (we are currently running 4.0 SP3 Hotfix 6) that caused it or an update to SQL. We updated to SQL 2005 some time ago and I had been able to create users just fine after the update.

Anyways the problem wasn't with the other users, it was with mine. I didn't have the SQL permission necessary to read the other logins. I gave myself sysadmin permission and then everything started working again.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Yeah sysadmin has a way of making permission errors go away :mrgreen: