Options

3rd dimension with basic dimensions

trintrin Member Posts: 110
Hi,

This is on Navision 4.0SP2 with SQL2000. The MBS documentation says two global dimensions with basic dimension and mulitple dimensions with advanced dimensions. However, I was able to create the 3rd dimension and was able to post entries though with the 3rd dimension under basic dimensions. Is it OK to use 3rd dimension under basic dimensions?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    I wouldn't bet on it.

This is the description in the explanation:
    This granule adds two additional dimensions to the general ledger and to any of the other ledgers in Microsoft Navision. You can give the two dimensions the names most appropriate for your business.

Can you give a list of your granules?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    i was also able to post transactions using shortcut dimension 3, but since our license didn't allow for analysis views, it wasn't of much use. Sure, we could define a given G/L entry as a certain Dim3, but to pull that data back out for reporting proved difficult. I was told we would need an additional granule for the analysis views that would then allow us to break entries down based upon the dim3.
    kind of fell into this...
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    You could switch the Global Dim 2 to dimension 3, to analyze the data, but I would do it in a separate database. NOT in production.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    Switching global dimensions can me a very long process. :wink:
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    Our reporting needs are rather consistent. Any given day somebody wants something spat out of the system. If we did a non-production dimension shift every time this happened, we would have to hire another Navision kid... and that would cut into my prospective salary increases! :D

I pushed for purchase of the analysis granule. I lost. For now we don't report on Dim3. :(

Maybe next year? :wink:
    kind of fell into this...
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Basically, licences only restrict access to tables and other objects AFAIK, not to individual fields or number of records or whatever. For example, you cannot use even 1 Location without the Multiple Locations. And if you can use the Document Dimension etc. tables with Basic Dimensions licence, you can post as much of them as you want, but the analysis features are restricted.