Options

Loading data from text files

McLeanMcLean Member Posts: 32
edited 2003-04-11 in Navision Attain
I'm loading contact data into Attain 3.0 using a code unit. Special characters like é (letter e with a tremor) are not translated correctly. All of my windows applications (Word, Excel, NotePad, WordPad) can see the data correctly. Used to do this without problem with Nv Fin 2.0.
Any suggestions?
Angus

Comments

• Options
    jhoekjhoek Member Posts: 216
    McLean wrote:
    I'm loading contact data into Attain 3.0 using a code unit. Special characters like é (letter e with a tremor) are not translated correctly. All of my windows applications (Word, Excel, NotePad, WordPad) can see the data correctly. Used to do this without problem with Nv Fin 2.0.
    Any suggestions?
    Angus

The problem lies in the conversion between ANSI and ASCII. Most Windows apps use ANSI as their character set. Navision uses ASCII instead. Files in Excel can be saved as e.g. CSV (MS-DOS), which produces ASCII, and can be imported into Navision without loss of diacritics.
    Kind regards,

Jan Hoek
    Product Developer
    Mprise Products B.V.
  • Options
    Jan
    Thanks for your reply. From Excel I tried just about every possible format. the one that works is Text(tab delimted) the characters are correct and the data appears in fixed positions (I need this for the code unit). If I use the format Text (MS-Dos) then the characters are incorrect and the data is not in position.
    By the way I use WordPad to open and examine the contents of the txt files after I have created them with Excel.
    The strange thing is I used to do this with Nav Fin 2.01 without problems and now with Attain I can't get it to work.

regards
    Angus
  • Options
    jhoekjhoek Member Posts: 216
    McLean wrote:
    By the way I use WordPad to open and examine the contents of the txt files after I have created them with Excel.

Since Wordpad is a Windows app, it uses ANSI as well. Use good old edit.com to view your files in ASCII.
    Kind regards,

Jan Hoek
    Product Developer
    Mprise Products B.V.
  • Options
    Jan,
    when i use edit it shows the character to be incorrect. So I am not translating the data correctly ie from ANSi to ASCII?

Just solved it!!!!

In access I export the query and changed the Code page in the Export Text Wizard from Western European (Windows) to Western European (Dos). And this now loads correctly and shows right characters using edit.com

Thanks for your help