Programmatically Deleting POs

megawavezmegawavez Member Posts: 133
edited 2006-11-08 in Navision Financials
Hi,

We have some very old purchase orders that have been partially received, but not invoiced. The system will not let me delete pos where the quantity received <> quantity invoiced. Our CFO does not want to post these pos if possible. I was thinking of writing a routine to delete the pos programatically, but am worried about database integrity - specifically the "Open" & "Cost is Adjusted" field on the item ledger entry. Does anybody have any feedback? Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    I don't understand why he doesn't want to post the invoices. The item ledger will be left with invoiced quantity not being zero. as well as cost adjusted field. If you are using expected cost, then the GL will have the balance in expect cost account and it will never move to the actual.
    You could invoice them with zero cost, but I would like to know why he doesn't want to invoice them. It would be a lot easier to reverse the GL transactions than fixing item ledger, value entry, costing adjustment. Purchase receipt.

You could also create credit memo if necessary.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • megawavezmegawavez Member Posts: 133
    ara3n wrote:
    I don't understand why he doesn't want to post the invoices. The item ledger will be left with invoiced quantity not being zero. as well as cost adjusted field. If you are using expected cost, then the GL will have the balance in expect cost account and it will never move to the actual.
    You could invoice them with zero cost, but I would like to know why he doesn't want to invoice them. It would be a lot easier to reverse the GL transactions than fixing item ledger, value entry, costing adjustment. Purchase receipt.

You could also create credit memo if necessary.

Some other the older POs have large $ values and he doesn't want any entries from old POs in the current time period - even if they are zero.

I'm trying to convince hime to post with $0, but I said I do some research into the negative repercusions if we just deleted the POs.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    ara3n wrote:
    I don't understand why he doesn't want to post the invoices.

My guess is that the Vendor has somehow forgotten about this merch.
    No Invoice has arrived in a very long time.
    So why pay when they are not asking.
    In the future if they ask about that merch you can pay them then.

I think that is the reason.
    (It's not always nice but I sue it happens)

I guess the vendor has a poor ERP system, maybe they need Navision :lol:

I would still invoice the PO if you want to create a journal entry to wipe out the Vendor Ledger Entry so you have no bill then that's an issue you have to deal with.

But I wouldn't screw up all the item costs just for some free/forgotten stuff.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    If you just delete these POs, your inventory costing will be corrupt forever. Your CFO will then complain why there are items received but not invoiced on the inventory to G/L reconcile report. Not mentioning that you'll get all sorts of inventory costing problems when you upgrade.

Basically, if you want to keep the integrity of the data solid, it needs to be processed the proper way.
    megawavez wrote:
    Some other the older POs have large $ values and he doesn't want any entries from old POs in the current time period - even if they are zero.

Ok, :-k

If they are zero, how could they be large values?
    Some of these POs were unintentionally received quite awhile ago - I think the vendor has forgotten to send an invoice.

From what I've read, it looks like it would be a bad idea to delete these POs. I appreciate the feedback.
    I mention creating a credit against the vendor legder entry to wipe out the bill because if you zero out all the costs - it will screw up the cost for those items.
    Savatage wrote:
    I mention creating a credit against the vendor legder entry to wipe out the bill because if you zero out all the costs - it will screw up the cost for those items.

We modified the inventory posting so that $ are posted into inventory when received (not just invoiced). If there is a difference between the received and invoiced $, a variance entry is posted.
    Not to get too far off topic - but isn't that another step that's not needed?

If you wait for the invoice then you know your prices are correct.

What was the main reason for changing how it posts?

How does this effect accounting?
    You have a bunch of Inventory with no bills for it.
    How does the Adjust cost - post entries to G/l batch job affect this change?

Just curious.
    It drove the previous CFO nuts that inventory wasn't recognized into the g/l when received, so some code was inserted into the posting to allow this - as mentioned above it also does an adjustment when invoiced if there is a price variance.

I'm not an expert here, but I've been told that most systems will recognize the $ value of inventory when received and that navision is a little unique in how it works.

I'm not familiar with "Adjust cost - post entries to G/l batch", but I think that functionality is probably handle within the change we made to po receipts.
    To recognize the the cost at receiving time, you need to turn on expected cost on, in inventory setup.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    If the vendor "forgot" to send you invoices for the items that's received, technically, you should just invoice those items at 0 cost because that's what actually happened.

Of course doing so will inflate your profit and be forced to pay taxes on the profit.

Something you might want to ask your CFO is how he wants to resolve this pain.

1. Post these items at 0 cost (lowers your COGS)
    2. Post these items with costs and post a credit memo to a G/L account to reverse the invoice. (increases your Other Income)

Both of these methods will affect your bottom line in that either way, you'll have to record income.

But ask your CFO on his desired results, accounting wise.
    "expected cost"? Don't see that in inventory setup - we're on 2.6 so maybe is functionality added in a later version.

currently working with CFO right now - but will probably post the offending POs then just do journal entries to reverse things out. Just hope we don't have unexpected vendors knocking on our doors down the road...
    Yes that feature is not part of 2.6. I guess it's time to upgrade, unless you are waiting for 5.0
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    Yes that feature is not part of 2.6. I guess it's time to upgrade, unless you are waiting for 5.0

Upgrade - wow. I don't think we'll ever upgrade. Our system is so customized now that the thought of an upgrade makes me shudder.
    There is also the option to re-implement. I've done a month ago. We are re-implenting another one right now, because it was too costly to upgrade.
    How many objects do you have modified?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    There is also the option to re-implement. I've done a month ago. We are re-implenting another one right now, because it was too costly to upgrade.
    How many objects do you have modified?

Reimplement?
    Yes you treat it as another ERP system, and you load open balances, Open SO, PO, Qty on hand, Master Customer, Vendor, Items, Identify reports that need to be moved. Only move the crucial modifications. How many objects are modified in db?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

ara3n wrote:
    Yes you treat it as another ERP system, and you load open balances, Open SO, PO, Qty on hand, Master Customer, Vendor, Items, Identify reports that need to be moved. Only move the crucial modifications. How many objects are modified in db?

Ah.... well... lot's! We have our own manufacturing system running (we started development before navision came out with their own).

Wouldn't mind getting off the custom mfg system, but it's very tightly integrated in with the package.
    You should just take a look at the 4.0 demo. Download the db and take a look.

Navision has changed a lot from 2.6 version.

I guess you are not going to give me a number. Is it 1000 objects?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from Navision Attain forum to Navision Financials forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

ara3n wrote:
    You should just take a look at the 4.0 demo. Download the db and take a look.

Navision has changed a lot from 2.6 version.

I guess you are not going to give me a number. Is it 1000 objects?

Going by the "Modified" flag (which includes both navision & custom objects), we have 1319 modifed objects.