Options

Commit Cache

WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
edited 2003-04-04 in Navision Attain
Can anyone give me more information on what Commit Cache is, what it does, and what it does on the performance.

Where can I find this information?

Eric Wauters
MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
My blog

Comments

• Options
    kujukuju Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 62
    Hi there,

There are Three types of Caching in Navision

Object Cache : only on client sessions where objects are stored (A Form, A report, a dataport, a tabledef, ) in the memory. This type of cache you ONLY enable in a live implementation, not in design time, because otherwise you will overwrite objects

DBMS Cache : Only on the Database server where the last retrieved information is stored. When data is needed by the system the RDBMS will first access the DBMS Cache which is extremely fast before using the "Slow" disks.

Commit cahce: Only on the database server and it's a part of the DBMS Cache (If i remember well until 1/3th). If a users does some modifications on the database. All these "transactions" are stored in memory until the DBMS system finds it needed to store this info on DISK.
    So, commit cache can speed up performance extremely when posting large amounts of data.

Important however is that most DISKs of today have a similar caching possibility and when this is enabled you should turn off commit cache in navision otherwise you could lose data because the DBMS assumes that when it writes data on disks it is really written to the disk.

If you want some more info, you can read more detailed info in the PDF on the product CD named W1W1ISM.PDF

Greetings

Kurt
    Dynamics Rules!