Options

Sales tax in W1 vs US

NavStudentNavStudent Member Posts: 399
Hello W1 version of Navision can handle sales tax.
NA version has additional changes to sales tax.

What country is the sales tax in W1 based on?
How many countries use Sales tax?

Can't the W1 version include the changes from NA?

Thank you.
my 2 cents

Comments

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    The US localization is mostly to differentiate sales tax setup between US and Canada.

There are other minor changes in the US localization version that has no bearing whatsoever to the other countries.

What specific localized feature in the US sales tax granule did you wish to have implemented in teh World Wide version?
  • Options
    Well I was just looking at sales tax and how it posts in US version. Basically it creates a gen. journal with amount = 0, and VAT Amount = (7 %) tax amount

This is really not a proper way to write the software. They should have a VAT/TAX Journal that should be posted, which will make the necessary GL entries. Not the other way around.

My question is why didn't they create a VAT Journal table, Just like Job journal.
    If you look at CU 12, code is just horrible the way it decides to make VAT/TAX Entries from a gen. journal.

My 2 cents.
    my 2 cents
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    That's a valid question that you should ask Microsoft directly. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    NavStudent wrote:
    Well I was just looking at sales tax and how it posts in US version. Basically it creates a gen. journal with amount = 0, and VAT Amount = (7 %) tax amount

This is really not a proper way to write the software. They should have a VAT/TAX Journal that should be posted, which will make the necessary GL entries. Not the other way around.

My question is why didn't they create a VAT Journal table, Just like Job journal.
    If you look at CU 12, code is just horrible the way it decides to make VAT/TAX Entries from a gen. journal.

My 2 cents.

In the early days of Navision, it was only released in countries that supported VAT. When it was eventually released in the US, they basically removed VAT, and wrote a whole new tax process. This became a porblem supporting two fundamentally differnent code bases to support taxing. Then came along countries like Canda and Australia that have both VAT and Sales tax. And the problem got really complex. So they then sat down and worked a way to support VAT and Sales tax in one DB at the same time AND make it easy to do upgrades.

Yes its not perfect, and there were versions of Navision where it was a big problem, but the key factor is that its straight forward to follow the upgrade path, and Navision have allways been very storng on supporting their installed customer base.

I agree that a seperate tax processing unit would be great, (imagine what it was like when we didn't even have Tax posting groups, and had to do it as a part of General Posting groups). But at this stage, I can not see it changing. Untill we start moving to the common code base. There are just too many more important priorities.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    If we are eventually going to move to the common code base, why are all these Dynamics products being changed. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just release an upgrade toolkit for NAV, AX and GP, to the new Dynamics product. Why do the customers have to go through itrations of upgrades to wave 1 products then wave 2. I will just cost them a lot of money. The solution centers have to learn wave 1 products and wave 2. Most of it will be at the expense of clients. Also it just costs a lot more to maintain 4 codebases.
    my 2 cents