Options

Navision 4.0 SP3 not working in Vista

PoltergeistPoltergeist Member Posts: 200
Just downloaded the NL version of Navision 4.0 SP3. While SP2 worked fine, SP3 gives an error regarding the .stx file. I get a dutch message, which says something like:

"Errors in textconversion (textnr 46-100 does not exist in .stx file)

Internal error: 47-1"

Then it stops with a Runtime error from the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library, with the message R6025 - pure virtual function call".

Seems that the "Pre SP3 roll-up" but has found its way to SP3...

Any solutions available already?

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    here is a shot in the dark, replace the sp3 .stx with sp2.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Unfortunatly, that does not work. It gives the exact same error.
  • Options
    facadefacade Member Posts: 57
    Maybe it's a language issue? - part of exe has not been translated maybe - try using in English first ?
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    sheesh this is just embarassing.... it doesn't even install :shock:
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    DenSter wrote:
    sheesh this is just embarassing.... it doesn't even install :shock:

Just in time for Convergence #-o
    David Singleton
  • Options
    I thought Navision suppose to be the first ERP system to be run on Vista. Wasn't there an article about that?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I send incident about that to Microsoft. Answer which I got was this:

Microsoft will release update for Navision to work with Vista in 3 months after release of Vista. Official info is there:
    CAUSE: Windows Vista is still not supported in NAV. Dynamics NAV development is currently working with the latest Release Candidates of Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista to ensure compatibility.

RESOLUTION: When Dynamics NAV development has finalized testing, we will announce compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista. We expect this to be within three month of the release of Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista respectively

But I do not know, how they can work with latest RC when the Critical update 3 for SP2 and SP3 have this problem preventing them from starting. SP2 with Update 1 is last version which is working on Vista... :-) It seems that they added some new functionality for vista into the client but they have forgotten to update the .stx file...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    I hope that I will get more info next week on Convergence EMEA...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kine wrote:
    I hope that I will get more info next week on Convergence EMEA...
    To extend what I was saying on the other thread...

I think you can just go to the Dynamics Stand and ask one of the experts there, surely they will know.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    You would think Microsoft would support their own products as a high priority.
    I had to stop using IE7 beta, because the Microsoft Partner site would not work properly with it and it would be several months before it did. That was the only site I had a problem with it.
    Since Vista is so late, you would think they would have all the issues worked out by now.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    At Directions, they stated that only 4.0 SP3 forward will work with Vista. Anything prior to that, you will get an error message...

They actually proved this, live, while we were there.

I'm hoping this is just a Vista Beta to-dos they're working on.
  • Options
    There were no issues with the SP2 update 1 on Vista (except the MDAC version detection problem). I do not know why they needed to change something that it is not working now... :-)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Not supporting Vista will just make companies not buy pc's with Vista. I guess business don't update their pc that often so it won't make much difference. It's just that we'll see several post in here about why it won't run on Vista.
    On other hand this means companies having Vista have to do an executable upgrade to 5.0 in order to run vista.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
    ara3n wrote:
    Not supporting Vista will just make companies not buy pc's with Vista. I guess business don't update their pc that often so it won't make much difference. It's just that we'll see several post in here about why it won't run on Vista.
    On other hand this means companies having Vista have to do an executable upgrade to 5.0 in order to run vista.

True, but, every new comp in company will be shipped with Vista, probably...
  • Options
    I'm sure new pc can be bought during the 3 months, can be requested to have win xp to be installed instead of Vista. Or once you get vista, you can reformat the harddrive and install xp.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Somebody knows if there is already a solution for this?

I just checked Partnersource, but nothing to find there... .

Only this:

Microsoft Dynamics™ NAV is planning to support Microsoft Office 2007 including SharePoint Portal Server 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista once they are available. Dynamics NAV development is currently working with the latest Release Candidates of Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista to ensure compatibility.

Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista are not available today, and consequently Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.0 does not support them. We will use the time until the availability of Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista to test and ensure compatibility with the final versions of Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista.

When Dynamics NAV development has finalized testing, we will announce compatibility with Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista. We expect this to be within three month of the release of Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Windows Vista respectively.

So we can be sure that there will be a solution. I just want it now, because for companies, Vista IS already available.
    :-k

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    Hey Waldo, that last post might be a little misleading if you don't specify the date that the article was published.

That article was probably published before Vista and Office '07 was released.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Doesn't Vista have a Windows Xp Compatability mode thingy O:)
  • Options
    deadlizard wrote:
    Hey Waldo, that last post might be a little misleading if you don't specify the date that the article was published.

5th of december.

Actually the big release is 30th of january, so may be then? They sure as hell don't tell us what or when ... :evil:

They anounce they would be ready on the big release, so I think they are referring to january .. .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    BlackTiger wrote:
    Savatage wrote:
    Doesn't Vista have a Windows Xp Compatability mode thingy O:)

Yes, it has. But it doesn't work at all. I've tested several programs having problems with Vista. Even switching to "compatibility mode" doesn't helps to run that applications.

But NAV (4.0.3) has internal bug in STX file. It's not a Vista's fault. NAV 4.0.2 works (at least starts :) )

Indeed doesn't work.
    I notice that much doesn't work on Vista.
    Luckily VPC works (2007 beta). I have a WinXP running in VPC running all things that doesn't work on Vista (yet).
    :roll:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    deadlizard wrote:

5th of december.

Actually the big release is 30th of january, so may be then? They sure as hell don't tell us what or when ... :evil:

They anounce they would be ready on the big release, so I think they are referring to january .. .

Here in the LA, there's a Vista launch party in Feburary 27th. So I'm guessing this is the official release date of Vista for the general public.
  • Options
    deadlizard wrote:
    Waldo wrote:
    deadlizard wrote:

5th of december.

Here in the LA, there's a Vista launch party in Feburary 27th. So I'm guessing this is the official release date of Vista for the general public.

That's late #-o
    I already have Vista (official Volume License release). For end customers only end of Feb??

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Well, compatibility seems a bit problematic. But is that a Vista problem? I don't know ... :-k

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    No, it is not Vista problem. It is missing text in stx file. Do not forget that SP2 is workig correctly (except MDAC version detection...). It is not problem with .exe file or some incompatibility, it is just some change prepared for Vista but not finished in SP3...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    That's late #-o
    I already have Vista (official Volume License release). For end customers only end of Feb??

You get the volume license if you have the MSDN subscription. The Vista launch party is Feb 27th, but I'm assuming that the general public can get their hands on it sooner.

We have the volume license as well, however, I haven't gotten a chance to install it on any of our PCs yet. And based on the feedback (and the fear instilled) by this forum, I probably won't spend time on it.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I tried it about a year ago - I noticed you needed a really PEPPY machine with very good, new hardware else it was slow. It wasn't the final release tho so maybe it's better.

Uninstalled it & reinstalled xp pro. Haven't messed with it since.
  • Options
  • Options
    small remark,

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15655&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

He got the same error message as when starting SP3 under Vista.

Who knows ... may be it time-format-related?
    :-k

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    I'm running Vista on my workmachine, (but am not a Navision programmer), but found Vista to run quite smooth (On my 1 GB, Pentium M 1.73 Ghz machine with ATI X600). Haven't had the urge to go back to XP yet, except that, as far as I can see, none of the Navision versions work on Vista.

It's much faster then Vista Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 (which I all installed on this machine).
  • Options
    thaugthaug Member Posts: 106
    I haven't done testing on it myself, but I have read many reviews that noticed the improvement in speed from RC versions to RTM. I think once the manufacturers start getting Vista compliant drivers in place, it should help things a bit.

January 30 is the official release date for general retail availability in the US. MS will be holding many events for this release around the world during Q1 2007. Many are branded under the WOW moniker.

However, for a more IT Pro centric launch, they have some separate events for that, which you can register for here (at least for the US): http://www.microsoft.com/business/launc ... fault.mspx
    There is no data, only bool!