Options

Crystal Reports Word Trick

SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
edited 2006-10-12 in General Chat
This is more of an FYI!!!

Mail Merge can be done a little differently.

If you have a letter that's already typed and you want to fill in all the address for example.

You can create a new report in crystal using Customer.
Open Word & Select ALL->COPY
go back to Crystal and in the body Click PASTE
(Make Sure the Body is as large as a letter size)

Then just drop in the name, address info fields where you would like them to be & run the report.

The best way I can describe it is that the letter becomes the "Background" and you can put fields on top. We use it for all sorts of custom forms, Bills and what ever your imagination can think of.

For example I usually Use Word to create a nice Cover Page. I use Crystal to make an item list for example.

using this method I can Simply Copy & Paste the cover in the Reports Header and it's instantly all together. Ready for printing or exporting to PDF - it's ready to go without extra effort.

Anothe thing you can do is use words great table features or even if the doc has pictures - it all comes over to crystal (give a try) if you have it.

Note by double clicking on the body it will bring you back to word where you can make changes to the orig doc if needed and when you close it - you will be back in Crystal.

have fun!