Configure Dot Marix printer for check printing

BeatriceBeatrice Member Posts: 346
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the implication of a dot matrix printer installation in Microcrosoft Navision for check printing?

How is a printer being configured for check printing please?

Is it a normal printer configuration where Microsoft Navision will be recognising the printer automatically? And how we go about the check callibration?

Is there any specific manual which you can proposed me please?

Thx
Rgds

Nalinee

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I guess you have to tell us if your checks are regular "letter size", tractor fed.

If you search the forum for "Dot Matrix" you should find lots of posts.

A heads up is that configuring a dot Matrix in Nav isn't always the easiest thing if you are using custom size forms.

Lasers are really The way to go.

Setting up the dot Matrix Printer as "generic Printer" will increase it's speed.

When you go "Print Checks" you'll get a dialog box that let you choose the printer you want to use.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Usually with dot matrix printers, you have to play with the margins in Navision. As well as calibrate the dot matrix printer.

Either way, you'll most likely be spending a lot of time doing trial and error tests.
  • BeatriceBeatrice Member Posts: 346
    yes it is a letter size, tractor feed pre-printed check.

Plz, let me know how to go about with the printer installation and configuration for check printing from the start because I will be doing it very soon for the first time at the client place.

I have already cuztomised the format of my check. I need to install the dot matrix printer, to send the check printing to the dot matrix printer and to callibrate it.

After having a glance at the search forum, plz confirm if I am right...

What I have learned, after installing the printer, I will go to Printer Selections, I will select the Check report ID and select the dot matrix name (where the dot matrix printer name will be in the list of values in the printer name field) and as someone just said I will have to play with the margins in Navision as well as calibrate the dot matrix printer.

Thx for quick response
    Good luck!

Also, you might want to make sure the client knows the amount of time you will be spending on this project. Who knows? They might change their mind and use laser checks instead.
    Hi,

You mean that dot matrix configuration is time consuming?

Yes, in fact we are monitoring project cost according to man days. How can it be differ from laser priter installation and configuration?

But noone confirmed of what i said before about the dot matrix installation. Want to know if the procedure is right or not or whether i missed some steps.
    Can anyboby proposed me more on the above issue??
    I'm not sure I understand..

1)Attach your printer
    2)Control Panel->Printers->Add new Printer
    3)Print a check to the new printer
    4)see if it's ok or if fields need moving so it can be properly placed.
    Beatrice wrote:
    Hi,

You mean that dot matrix configuration is time consuming?

Yes, in fact we are monitoring project cost according to man days. How can it be differ from laser priter installation and configuration?

But noone confirmed of what i said before about the dot matrix installation. Want to know if the procedure is right or not or whether i missed some steps.

Formatting a dot matrix printer in Navision is always more time consuming than laser.

No, you didn't miss any steps. You just need a lot of patience.
  • nalineenalinee Member Posts: 55
    Hello everyone,

Some months ago I have successfully configured check printing for my client on a Dot Matrix printer by trial an error on both the printer settings and the Check report.

Now my client just bought another printer which is connected to a new pc. My client has been able to callibrate the check by printer settings but each time the pc restarts they lose their configuration and they need to recallibrate it.

Can anyone tells why this problem is occuring?

Thx for a prompt reply.

Rgds

Nalinee
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    1. Disconnect dot-matrix printer
    2. Toss in dumpster
    3. Purchase laser printer
    4. Order new check stock
    5. Attach and configure new printer.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • nalineenalinee Member Posts: 55
    Dear Brown,

My client just bought a new Dot Matrix printer. They will not be willing to purchase a Laser printer.

Can anyone provide me for another solution to resolve this problem?

Why when pc is restarted printer settings is reset to default?

Rgds

Nalinee
  • rjvermarjverma Member Posts: 25
    Which Dot Matrix printer you are using,

If you are using Epson LX-300+, then simply you Install the printer with Epson LX-1050 series Driver, becuase In LX-300+ there is no option to create Paper size in LX-1050 option available. Then you create the paper size and select the printer in default.

We are using the same.
    Rupesh Verma
    Floor & Furnishing (I) Pvt. Ltd.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bbrown wrote:
    1. Disconnect dot-matrix printer
    2. Toss in dumpster
    3. Purchase laser printer
    4. Order new check stock
    5. Attach and configure new printer.

I was about to suggest basically the exact same solution. \:D/

Some customers though just like to spend money, and there is nothing you can do to stop them. ](*,)
    David Singleton
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Yeah I find this can be a huge waste of time. The last time I was requested to do this I warned the client it can be a time consuming trial and error process to get the cheques lined up and everything calibrated.

In the end client wanted to use old dot matrix printer with existing cheque stock they had, but it ended up costing much more money in development time then the stock was worth & they already had laser printers.

You may want to factor that into any budget/assessment of doing this work.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
    just bought a new Dot Matrix printer

I can't remember the last time this phrase came out of my mouth. :lol:
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    LOL I was just thinking I don't even think they call the dot matrix printers any more...now they're "Impact" printers.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    jlandeen wrote:
    LOL I was just thinking I don't even think they call the dot matrix printers any more...now they're "Impact" printers.

"impact" : What you feel like doing to the printer after spending 3 days trying to get it to work right. :D
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.